Short Rib and Taleggio Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Rich meaty short ribs combined with creamy, smooth taleggio cheese make this the world’s best grilled cheese sandwich. This, my friends, is the ultimate comfort food.
I’ve been struggling to write this post for almost a week. I wanted to share this amazing sandwich with all of you so you could use up your leftover Slow Cooker Beef Short Ribs. 😉 I wanted to share it immediately but, life. Sometimes it throws you a wicked curve ball. One that can leave you reeling for days. One that will leave an immediate mark on your heart.
Our sweet Sookie was diagnosed with a debilitating bone disease. She had been in pain for half her short life and the disease was already in its advanced stages. We had to let her go and it was the hardest decision ever. I’ve never, in my life, had to make this choice and it will haunt me for the rest of my life. The only silver lining is knowing she’s no longer in pain and that she may actually be able to catch a squirrel in doggie heaven. She used to stare them down and I know, if she could run, she would have scared the nuts off them. I miss her so much.
So, I’ve been a little MIA here at The Soapbox. I’ve been drowning my sorrows in food and wine. And when I catch myself being happy…singing, whistling, smiling…I feel so much guilt. I know it will get better with time but she was the best puppy ever. No lie.
This sandwich can lift anyone’s spirits. It can. It did. It will turn that frown upside down. Bonus…you can make it using your leftover Slow Cooker Beef Short Ribs. Anytime I have a stupendous recipe awaiting me using a previously stupendous recipe it makes me want to jump for joy. Super time save and we’re not wasting any goodness here. It’s all in.
You only need one short rib here so make sure to hide one when you make the Slow Cooker Beef Short Ribs. Just wrap it up and stash it away. Somewhere safe so nobody ever finds it. Quick “caramelized” onions and creamy cheese make this sandwich so sinfully delicious. I used Taleggio, a semi-soft Italian cheese similar to brie but with a more mild flavor. It melts beautifully and blends well with the beef and onion mixture. I also smeared some KerryGold Garlic & Herb butter on the inside of the bread because….OMG. It just belongs there. That’s it. Grill that bugger and take a bite. This, my friends, is the human version of The Rainbow Bridge.
Get the Recipe: Short Rib and Taleggio Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 1 vidalia onion, sliced very thin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons KerryGold Garlic & Herb butter
- 4 1/2 inch thick slices crusty bread
- 1 braised beef short rib, shredded
- 6 ounces taleggio cheese
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, softened
- In a small skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat and add the onions to the pan. All the onions to cook down and begin to brown stirring occasionally. Once the onions start to turn golden, add the sugar and turn down the heat. Continue to cook the onions, stirring every few minutes, until they are a deep, caramelized color. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Lay four slices of crusty bread on a cutting board and spread each slide with the garlic & herb butter, Divide the onion, short ribs and cheese even between two slices and top each half with the remaining slice of bread. Spread the butter evenly on the outside of the sandwiches.
- Heat a clean skillet over med-low heat and add the sandwiches to the pan. Grill the sandwich until the cheese begins to melt and the bread is golden brown and crispy. Carefully turn the sandwiches and grill on the opposite side until golden brown and crisp.
- Serve immediately.