Green Eyed Monster Deviled Eggs
Spooky fun for your next Halloween bash. Deviled eggs stuffed with an avocado filling are a healthy alternative to the usual mayo-based eggs. Dressed up to look like monster eyes, these will disappear so fast…it’s scary!
I haven’t been to a Halloween party in years. Like a decade or more. I’m not a huge fan of Halloween…there’s something about decorating the front lawn with gravestones and rotting corpses that is a little unsettling. I’m a “happy” Halloweener. I like the cute ghosts and pumpkins and candy. Silly, happy decorations that make you smile….not make you jump out of your pants every time you stop at a certain stop sign in the neighborhood. Like several times a day. Like at least 3 times a day. Because that scarecrow…that is not scary at all when you look at it….is tied to a tree and looks like a person standing there all stalkerish. I think I get a pass this year because of the thievery that recently happened. You never know who is lurking in the trees….or in this case…a tree, in the front lawn of the house on the corner. You just don’t know who that guy could be with his flannel shirt stuffed with straw. Cause he looks so real. 😐
So, in trying to get in the Halloween spirit….I made you some eyeballs. Green Eyed Monster eyeballs. But I love them because they’re kinda cute….they’re not scary and I can eat them if I become irrationally terrified. I have the upper hand here. And I can eat all of them because they’re super healthy. There’s not a hint of mayo anywhere to be found. Which is great because I’ve been downing all the brownie cookies and Count Chocula milkshakes at a rapid pace.
These are great to serve at a party because…let’s face it…lots of chips and dips and wings and cheese and whatever else they have going there. I’m sure lots and lots of alcohol because what’s a party without some Booooooze. Right? So, we need something healthy and bite sized. Green Eyed Monster Deviled Eggs are where it’s at. And they’re easy to make.
Remove the yolk from the egg whites and set aside. Do this carefully, I had a fatality because I was trying to work too fast.
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and then transfer the filling to a zip top bag. Snip off the end and fill the eggs whites with the filling.
Cut 8 large black olives in half and stuff the end with the large whole with a thin strip of peppadew pepper to make the pupil. Top the filling with the olive half and a few strips of peppadew pepper on the white to make the bloodshot eyes.
And you’re done. So easy it’s almost horrifying. 🙂
Green Eyed Monster Deviled Eggs
- 4 large hard boiled eggs, peeled and halved
- 1 avocado, pitted and removed from skin
- 1 teaspoon horseradish dijon mustard (I used Maille)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 large black olives
- 3 peppedew peppers, cut into thin strips
- Remove the yolks from the whites and place the yolks in a medium bowl. Carefully clean the whites and set aside.
- Add the avocado, mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper to the yolks and whisk until smooth. Transfer the mixture to a zip top bag and snip off the end. Fill the egg whites with the avocado mixture and set aside.
- Cut the olives in half and stuff the end with the large hole with a strip of pepper. Place one olive half on top of the avocado mixture of each egg and then place a few strips of pepper on the white part of the egg to make bloodshot eyes.
- Cover and refrigerate up to 4 hours.