The Very Best Chicken Parmesan
Crisp and juicy, this is The Very Best Chicken Parmesan. Lighter than the traditional, this version uses a quick frying technique before finishing off in the oven. Easy and satisfying.
Note: Recipe and photos have been updates on October 13, 2015.
I, instinctively, wanted to call this dish “Sinfully” delicious but that would just be wrong. It definitely tastes sinfully delicious but it’s pretty much guilt free! Guiltlessly delicious! (I know guiltlessly is not word…yet, I will be submitting it to Webster’s for consideration shortly.)
I love a good chicken parm but if you order it at a restaurant you’re going to have to split it into quarters and eat it over the course of four days…..OR share with three other people in order to keep the fat and calories in check. The problem with trying to lighten up the recipe is you either end up with soggy chicken, rubbery cheese or a chicken cutlet that is so slippery the sauce and cheese won’t stick to it.
By coating the chicken in panko bread crumbs and giving them a quick “fry” in some olive oil before finishing off in the oven, you create a crispy crust that grabs onto the sauce nicely without becoming soggy. Pounding the chicken to an even thickness also keeps the cooking time to a minimum allowing the chicken to stay moist and juicy. I also used my easy Stove Top Marinara, which takes minutes to whip up, for the sauce. Be sure to use regular cheese, this is not the time to substitute with low-fat or fat-free cheese. Although…is there EVER a time to use low-fat or fat-free cheese….it’s not even real cheese! By using regular cheese, you’re not sacrificing flavor and, therefore, don’t need to use as much. And who doesn’t love a melty, gooey fresh mozzarella?
Let me say….it took several tries before I found the perfect combination of ingredients to make this taste close to the real deal. Skip the customary side of pasta and you can also keep your carbs to a minimum. I served it with a side of steamed broccoli and it went together rather nicely. It would also be awesome with these easy crispy potatoes.
The Very Best Chicken Parmesan Recipe
Lighter on calories, big on flavor, this Chicken Parmesan recipe is super easy and quick to make.
- 3 Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning Blend I use Spice Islands
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 3 cups low sodium marinara sauce or use my recipe for Stove Top Marinara
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 3/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Chopped parsley and basil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat.
- Pound each chicken cutlet between two sheets of plastic wrap until they are an even thickness and then slice in half to make two equal servings. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, pepper and italian seasoning. Lightly beat the eggs in a second bowl and add the panic bread crumbs to a third bowl. Dredge each cutlet in the flour, egg, and panko and place in the heated saute pan. Cook the cutlets until golden brown, about two minutes on each side. Repeat with the remaining oil and cutlets.
- Place the sautéed cutlets on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Top with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with the parmesan and bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately with the parsley and basil.
The leftovers keep well in an airtight container for a quick lunch the next day!