The Very Best Chicken Parmesan
Crisp and juicy, this is The Very Best Chicken Parmesan. Lighter than the traditional, this version uses a quick frying technique before finishing off in the oven. Easy and satisfying.
Never mess with a classic, that’s my motto but when it comes to ordering Chicken Parmesan at a restaurant I always feel weighed down and just blah. Italian Chicken Parmesan is usually heavily breaded chicken that’s been fried or DEEP fried and that’s just to start off!
BAKED CHICKEN PARMESAN
I knew I could make it a little healthier at home and that’s how this easy BAKED Chicken Parmesan recipe came to be. The problem with trying to lighten up the recipe is you either end up with soggy chicken, rubbery cheese or a chicken cutlet that is so slippery the sauce and cheese won’t stick to it.
By coating the chicken in panko bread crumbs and giving them a quick “fry” in some olive oil before finishing off in the oven, you create a crispy crust that grabs onto the sauce nicely without becoming soggy. Pounding the chicken to an even thickness also keeps the cooking time to a minimum allowing the chicken to stay moist and juicy.
I also used my easy Stove Top Marinara, which takes minutes to whip up, for the sauce. Be sure to use regular cheese, this is not the time to substitute with low-fat or fat-free cheese. Although…is there EVER a time to use low-fat or fat-free cheese….it’s not even real cheese! By using regular cheese, you’re not sacrificing flavor and, therefore, don’t need to use as much. And who doesn’t love a melty, gooey fresh mozzarella?
So, basically, I made a Healthy Chicken Parmesan recipe that still has that crispy parmesan crusted chicken topped with tangy tomato sauce and gooey cheese. You’re welcome.
How To Make It
This easy Baked Chicken Parmesan recipe starts off on the stovetop to crisp up the crust before being finished off with a quick bake in the oven to marry all the flavors and melt the cheese. It’s a great recipe to prep ahead, assembling the whole dish on a baking sheet and then popping in the oven right before you’re ready for dinner.
To make Oven Baked Chicken Parmesan:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees and heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat.
Pound each chicken cutlet between two sheets of plastic wrap until they are an even thickness and then slice in half to make two equal servings.
In a bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, pepper and italian seasoning. Lightly beat the eggs in a second bowl and add the panko bread crumbs to a third bowl.
Dredge each chicken cutlet in the flour, egg, and panko and place in the heated saute pan. Cook the chicken until golden brown, about two minutes on each side. Repeat with the remaining oil and chicken.
Place the sautéed chicken on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
Top with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with the parmesan and bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Serve immediately with the parsley and basil.
It’s so simple to make your chicken parmesan in the oven, versus the stovetop…..and less mess, too!
What Sauce To Use
For this easy Chicken Parmesan recipe, I like to use my stovetop marinara recipe because it’s not chunky and creates a smooth even surface so the cheese doesn’t melt off.
You could also use this easy Vodka Sauce to make it extra decadent. It’s smooth and creamy adding a little luxury to your baked chicken parmesan.
What To Serve With It
Some of my favorite things to serve with this easy Bake Chicken Parmesan recipe are simple and quick to make. These are some of my favorite sides for Oven Baked Chicken Parmesan:
- Spaghetti Aglio e Olio is ready in about 10 minutes.
- Go low carb with these easy Cauliflower Breadsticks
- Super easy Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Roasted Asparagus with Pine Nuts and Parmesan
- Steamed Broccoli always is a hit, too.
If you’re looking for even more easy baked chicken recipes, you definitely need to try THESE family favorites!
- Oven Baked Chicken Breasts
- Easy Oven Baked Chicken Tenders
- Cheesy Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs with Garlic Herb Sauce
- Best Crispy Baked Chicken Wings
The Very Best Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- 3 Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning Blend I use Spice Islands
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 3 cups low sodium marinara sauce or use my recipe for Stove Top Marinara
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 3/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Chopped parsley and basil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat.
- Pound each chicken cutlet between two sheets of plastic wrap until they are an even thickness and then slice in half to make two equal servings. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, pepper and italian seasoning. Lightly beat the eggs in a second bowl and add the panic bread crumbs to a third bowl. Dredge each cutlet in the flour, egg, and panko and place in the heated saute pan. Cook the cutlets until golden brown, about two minutes on each side. Repeat with the remaining oil and cutlets.
- Place the sautéed cutlets on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Top with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with the parmesan and bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately with the parsley and basil.
The leftovers keep well in an airtight container for a quick lunch the next day!