Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
Free up some space on your stove-top when you make Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes! This easy Crockpot recipe always yields creamy, rich, and buttery mashed potatoes. Minimal prep and perfect results – what more could you ask for? Perfect for the holidays!
Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
On both Thanksgiving and Christmas, I have a tendency to get way too stressed when I look at my kitchen. It can be pretty hectic and tiresome to see what feels like a million side dishes all fighting for their spot on the stove-top! This year, I plan on freeing up some of that precious real estate by making my mashed potatoes in the Crockpot.
This stroke of genius came to me last year when I was making my classic mashed potatoes recipe. While that recipe is my trusty tried and true side dish, it was driving me crazy to see all of the various pots and pans scattered across the stove! That’s why this Crockpot recipe is here to save the day. It creates just as delicious mashed potatoes and doesn’t take up any much needed space!
To dress up these tender golden potatoes that are slow cooked to perfection, I use a medley of ingredients like butter, sour cream, cream cheese and more. They’re so buttery, rich, and creamy! I also have a simple mix of seasonings that get stirred in to make this side dish flavorful, but not so bold that it overpowers anything else on your plate. As always, you can alter to your own personal tastes as well.
How to Make Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
Low and slow truly is the way to go!
- Cook the potatoes. Add the cut potatoes to your Crockpot and cover with vegetable stock. Sprinkle the butter all over. Cover and cook on high for about 3-4 hours, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Mash. Use a potato mashed or hand mixer to mash the potatoes until you reach the desired consistency. I like mine a little chunky, but you can mash until fully smooth if you prefer.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Mix in the sour cream, cream cheese, seasonings, and half and half until combined.
We love this programmable slow cooker with auto warm setting by CrockPot! It’s a great way to make dinners easy and keep them warm until you’re ready to eat. We pull this one out at least once a week and the price can’t be beat!
We include links to products we use to create this recipe. We may be compensated for purchases made using these links. Thank you for supporting our site.
Here’s a quick peek at what you’ll need to make this slow cooker recipe:
- Yukon Gold Potatoes – These are my favorite to use because they’re so smooth, tender and buttery!
- Vegetable Stock – I really love cooking potatoes in vegetable stock because it infuses them with just a little added flavor. It’s the perfect simple touch to elevate them that much more.
- Butter – It can be salted or unsalted, whichever you prefer.
- Sour Cream and Cream Cheese – For both of these recipes, it’s really best to use regular (not low-fat) options! Low-fat ingredients won’t create the same creamy, thick mashed potatoes we’re looking for.
- Seasonings – Create the best flavor with a mix of garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. You can swap the black pepper with white pepper if you’d like a more subtle flavor.
- Half and Half – This can be swapped with heavy cream. Just note that heavy cream will make the potatoes even thicker, and they’re already going to be quite thick.
Once the mashed potatoes have totally cooled to room temperature, transfer them to an airtight container and keep them in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave, stove-top, or right back in the Crockpot. If you choose the microwave, heat the chilled mashed potatoes for 30 seconds at a time and stir each time it stops.
Enjoy more of the best mashed potatoes recipes!
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Pimento Cheese Mashed Potatoes
- Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Sour Cream and Chive Mashed Potatoes
Get the Recipe: Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup half and half
- Chopped chives, optional
- 1 slow cooker or crockpot
- Add the potatoes and stock to the slow cooker and sprinkle with the butter evenly.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Using a potato masher or hand mixer, mash the potatoes until almost smooth. (We like our’s a little chunky but you can make them smooth if you prefer. )
- Stir in the sour cream, cream cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper and half and half.
- Serve with chopped chives, bacon, cheese or other mix ins.