Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Fast and easy, Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are surprising simple to make with just THREE ingredients…..and one of them is potatoes! Ready in under 30 minutes and that includes the time for your pressure cooker to pressurize.
This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and love.
Those of you that have been following me for awhile (thank you for your loyalty, friends!) know that I didn’t have instant love for the Instant Pot. I didn’t find much about it that was “instant.” I think the word “instant” kind of built up my hopes a bit because I, seriously, thought everything would be ready in an instant. And it is…..after it comes to pressure….cooks….and then releases pressure. (See what I mean.)
But I have been using my Instant Pot a bit more for more basic things that I would rather not have to babysit….or want more instantly than my slow cooker can offer. Things like my beloved roasted beets and these artichokes are made easier with my Instant Pot.
So, I decided to give my simple mashed potato recipe a try to see if this was something I could love for an easy weeknight side and OMG….did they turn out amazing. These Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are fluffy and buttery….the way mashed potatoes should be.
And the prep work is so simple, I didn’t even peel my potatoes. Just cut them up into gigantic, yet equally sized, chunks and tossed into the Instant Pot with a bit of salt and water.
This mashed potato recipe cooked up so quickly and the potatoes were not gummy or pasty at all. All I used to mash them up was an old school potato masher….you know that thing that gets all hung up in your utensil drawer making it impossible to open? Yeah, you’re using that for your homemade mashed potatoes here.
INSTANT POT MASHED POTATOES
Easy Pressure Cooker Mashed Potatoes are simply potatoes that are steamed in an Instant Pot or pressure cooker until tender. Then, using a potato masher, they’re smashed up until fluffy with butter, a little milk, salt and pepper. That’s it.
So simple and perfect when you’re cooking for a crowd and run out of oven space. Pulling out the Instant Pot for easy dishes that would, otherwise, take up much needed cooking space is like my new favorite thing.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT MASHED POTATOES
This quick mashed potato recipe is super simple to make. Here’s how you do it:
- Cut the potatoes into quarters approximately the same size. This will ensure even cooking.
- Place the potatoes in the Instant Pot or pressure cooker and add the water. Season with salt.
- Lock the lid in place and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally….do not release it manually.
- Add the butter, milk, salt and pepper to the pot and mash using a potato masher.
- Transfer the mashed potatoes to a serving bowl and serve immediately.
I didn’t peel my potatoes for this recipe but you can peel your potatoes if want to give yourself extra work. I like to keep the peel on because of the added nutrients in that part of the potato.
If you don’t have a potato masher and don’t want to buy one, you can mix your potatoes with an electric hand mixer for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. Do not over mix your potatoes.
You can cook up to 3 pounds of potatoes in your Instant Pot safely. Don’t over fill or you’ll end up with problems. Trust me….I know this.
If you’re looking for a great Instant Pot….this is the one I own and use all the time.
TIPS FOR THE BEST MASHED POTATOES
- Potatoes – I like to use a starchy potato like a Russet or Yukon Gold for my mashed potatoes. Waxy potatoes, like red potatoes, do not do well in the Instant Pot for mashed potatoes because they tend to get pasty when mixed.
- Mixing – I prefer a hand masher because it helps me gauge when I’ve mashed enough. A hand mixer can get away from you leading to over mixing.
- Keep Warm – One of my favorite things about Instant Pot Potatoes is that you can keep them warm in the Instant Pot until you’re ready to eat! Such a fantastic multi-tasker!
VARIATIONS FOR INSTANT POT MASHED POTATOES
You can mix things up a bit to add more flavor!
Here are my favorite mix ins:
- Horseradish Cheddar Cheese – Shredded is best for the cheese and you can never add too much horseradish.
- Cream Cheese and Chive – Fresh snipped chives and cream cheese make these mashed potatoes seriously so dreamy.
- Roasted Garlic – This roasted garlic recipe is stashed in my fridge for mashed potato emergencies.
- Bacon Ranch – Bacon…..and ranch seasoning.…BEST MASHED POTATOES EVER.
If you’re looking for even more easy mashed potato recipes we are LOVING this KILLER Mashed Potato recipe. This Pimento Cheese Mashed Potato recipe is totally amazing, as is, this Brown Butter Mashed Sweet Potato recipe!
Get the Recipe: Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 3 lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes, Cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- fresh snipped chives , optional
- Pressure Cooker
- Instant Pot