Southwestern Tuna Pizza
Amp up your lunch with something spicy, healthy and satisfying. Southwestern Tuna Pizza packs a flavor punch and will keep you energized all afternoon. Ready in just minutes, they are perfect for a quick, light dinner too!
There once was a time when I couldn’t eat any more tuna…..ever. I had packed myself so many tuna salad sandwiches that one more could have caused me to go all Thelma and Louise…minus Louise. But they were easy to make…make the salad on Sunday, have a sandwich on Monday, pack a lettuce wrap on Tuesday, gag down a tuna stuffed tomato on Wednesday. Leftover dinner on Thursday and Friday. It was routine, it was monotonous, it was boring. I didn’t know what else I could do with tuna to make it less predictable. I dabbled with it once recently and made these insanely, crazy good Mediterranean Tuna Wraps which kind of mixed things up a bit but then there were still only two. Two ways for me to enjoy tuna without driving off a cliff. (Or running to the local fast food restaurant because I didn’t want my brown bag lunch.)
Then I discovered Bumble Bee Prime Filet Albacore Tuna with Jalapeños and Olive Oil. Jalapeños in the tuna! I don’t even think I was out of the tuna aisle when I knew this needed a Southwestern spin. Something like a tuna melt but without my predictable tuna salad recipe. Something a little healthier…sans mayonnaise. Something hearty but fun and would make a great quick dinner if we found ourselves needing something stat!
Southwestern Tuna Pizza is bursting with true tex-mex flavor, cumin, chilis, jalapeños, black beans. It’s all in there and these little pizzas are packed with protein! Low in fat and filled with fiber, they’re the perfect way to fuel up after a long morning and will keep you moving well into dinner time. They’d also make a great post-workout recovery meal…if you’re the working out type. 🙂
They only take a few minutes to make and kids love them. I added some fresh jalapeños to the mix because my family likes things extra spicy but you could certainly leave them out if you’re a more mild spice fan. You can even whip up the tuna salad ahead of time and have it ready for a quick weeknight dinner. These puppies only take five minutes to bake in the oven and they’re ready to devour. And you will do just that…you will devour them. And then want another.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
Get the Recipe: Southwestern Tuna Pizza
- 1 ear of corn on the cob, husked and silk removed
- 2 5- ounce cans Bumble Bee Prime Filet Albacore Tuna with Jalapeños and Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 2 teaspoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- juice and zest of one lime
- salt and pepper
- 4 sandwich thins, split in half
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- On a grill or over a gas flame, cook the corn until lightly charred. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add the tuna with the oil and break up with a fork until finely shredded. Add the black beans, red bell pepper, onion, cilantro, chili powder, cumin, lime zest and juice. Cut the corn off the cob and add to the bowl. Toss the mixture to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the tuna evenly between the 8 sandwich thin halves. Top each with cheese and place on a baking sheet. Bake the pizzas for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.