Spinach Artichoke and Chicken Quesadilla
Crispy, cheesy quesadillas filled with spinach, artichoke hearts and rotisserie chicken. Yes, that’s right….rotisserie chicken from your local grocery store. These Spinach Artichoke and Chicken Quesadillas come together quickly and easily making them perfect for busy weeknight dinners.
Let’s be real for a second….or 300 seconds. However long it takes for me to come clean here. As you may know, I used to work outside the home…in a real office cubicle. And, almost, everyday I’d come home from work and make dinner. From scratch…from a recipe I found online or in a magazine or on a cooking show. Whatever it is, I made it and fed my family. NOW…you’d think I’d be doing the same thing. After all, I’m home cooking all day long. Braising, grilling, baking, sautéing.
But the reality is…sometimes I’m burned out, literally, by the time dinner rolls around. And sometimes….it’s cake. Like I made cakes and cookies and brownies all day long….not really appropriate for a healthy dinner. Ok, maybe appropriate but not healthy. I would never turn down cake for dinner. But being the responsible adult that I am, I want to “offer” a healthier option to the people that live here with me. I had to take myself back to a simpler time…one where I worked in my cubicle all day long without distractions from the dog, Landon and others that are home all day too. (Seriously though….I just had to stop typing to put the legs back on the T-Rex.)
So, I thought hard about how I was able to get dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes and several recipes came flooding back…like my Cheeseburger Macaroni Skillet and Skinny Beef Stroganoff. And quesadillas….quesadillas are king, especially when you are enlisting help from your local grocery store. I used to go and pick up a rotisserie chicken during my lunch break when I remembered (and panicked) I forgot to take something out of the freezer for dinner. Rotisserie chicken is a life-saver. It makes this Spinach Artichoke Quesadilla come together in a snap. And you’ll have two pans to clean, one that you’ll sauté everything in to warm it through…and one to cook the quesadillas in. You do have to cook the quesadillas one at a time but they take minutes and really….it’s kinda therapeutic. You can just stand there and watch the cheese melt, spilling into the pan and creating a crispy, golden edge. That’s the best bite right there. And you made it happen, in minutes.
Get the Recipe: Spinach Artichoke and Chicken Quesadilla
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 8- ounce package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pre-made rotisserie chicken, breast meat only
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- In a medium skillet, add the olive oil and heat over med-high heat. Add the artichokes and sauté until warm. Stir in the spinach, garlic and chicken continuing to cook until the spinach is slightly wilted. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- In a small skillet over med-high heat and coated with cooking spray, add on corn tortilla. Top the tortilla with 1/4 cup of cheese and then spoon 1/4 of the spinach/chicken mixture over the cheese. Top with another 1/4 cup of cheese and place a corn tortilla on top of that. Spray with cooking spray and cover with a lid. Allow the quesadilla to cook for 2-3 minutes and then carefully flip over. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes and then transfer to a plate. Cut into quarters and serve immediately. Repeat procedure with the remaining tortillas.
- Note: The spinach/chicken mixture can be made a day in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Warm before adding to your quesadilla.