Strawberry Arugula Salad with Spicy Blueberry Vinaigrette
Strawberry Arugula Salad with Spicy Blueberry Vinaigrette has it all! It’s sweet, spicy, light, yet filling. If you’ve ever wanted a summer salad that hits the spot in so many different, delicious ways, this is it! This freshly tossed salad with homemade vinaigrette is a real dream come true for berry fans.
Strawberry Arugula Salad
Berries are officially in season, and there’s no better way to use up that bushel you just picked than with this supremely flavor packed salad! Blueberries and strawberries are two of my favorite berries, and they’re ripe as ever in the spring and summer months. While I definitely use them to bake and blend into smoothies, I also like using them in recipes like this that highlight how delicious they are in their un-blended, un-baked form.
If you’re thrown off by the spicy blueberry vinaigrette, don’t be! The spiciness in it comes from hot honey and a pinch of cayenne powder, both of which balance out the sweetness of this salad in a mouthwatering way. Plus, arugula has a natural peppery, almost bitter taste that is enhanced by the touch of spiciness in the dressing. This salad is pretty complex when it comes to flavor, and might not be your kids favorite lunch – but it’s sure to be yours!
While this salad is a fantastic light lunch, it also doubles as a pretty great side dish to your summertime dinners! Sometimes, I’ll plate it alongside dinners like Crab Cakes or Huli Huli Chicken for a nice meal after a long hot day. It’s also great to serve at parties, since it’s not your usual Caesar or house salad! While it may be pretty unique, I know one thing for certain. I’ll be making this salad every summer from here on out!
How to Make It
This easy salad recipe comes together in no time. Just plug in your blender, grab a salad bowl, and get to work!
Start off by making the dressing.
Blend. Add the blueberries, vinegar, lemon juice, honey and cayenne pepper to the bowl of a food processor. Blend until pureed.
Add the final touches. Stream in the olive oil slowly while running the food processor until the dressing begins to come together and thicken slightly. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
Time to toss the salad!
Add the ingredients. Add the arugula, strawberry, blueberries, cucumber and red onions to a large bowl or platter.
Top it off. Top the salad with the walnuts and goat cheese.
Drizzle and serve. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and serve immediately.
Tips for the Best Strawberry Arugula Salad
- Use freshly squeezed lemon juice for your vinaigrette! With a salad this fresh, you’ll want all of your ingredients to be fresh, not just the berries.
- Olive oil is the base of your dressing, so make sure it’s of good quality. While you don’t want the olive oil to be the most dominant flavor, a slight note of it in the smooth, spicy, berry dressing is really nice.
- This salad is best enjoyed fresh. Don’t add the vinaigrette until you’re just about to serve it! If the salad is tossed with the dressing too early, the arugula will go limp and the other ingredients will also be negatively effected.
- For an even more personal touch to your homemade salad, make my favorite Quick Pickled Red Onions! They’re full of flavor and so much better than store-bought. Plus, they’re pretty quick and easy!
- Leftover arugula is fabulous in this fall inspired Arugula Salad!
Enjoy these recipes as light lunches or side salads all summer long!
- Waldorf Salad
- Sparkling Fruit Salad with Champagne Mimosa Dressing
- Beet Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
- Peach Burrata Salad with Hot Honey Vinaigrette
Get the Recipe: Strawberry Arugula Salad with Spicy Blueberry Vinaigrette
For the Vinaigrette:
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons hot honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt and pepper
For the Salad:
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 1 1/2 cups hulled strawberries, cut in half
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, washed and drained
- 1 cup chopped English cucumbers
- 1/4 cup pickled red onions
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- blender or food processor
To make the dressing:
- Add the blueberries, vinegar, lemon juice, honey and cayenne pepper to the bowl of a food processor. Blend until pureed.
- Stream in the olive oil slowly while running the food processor until the dressing begins to come together and thicken slightly. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Set aside.
To make the salad:
- Add the arugula, strawberry, blueberries, cucumber and red onions to a large bowl or platter.
- Top the salad with the walnuts and goat cheese.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and serve immediately.