Sweet Potato Cupcakes with Marshmallow Meringue Frosting
Sweet, moist Sweet Potato Cupcakes are topped with a fluffy Marshmallow Meringue Frosting and then lightly toasted for the most festive dessert recipe you’ll ever make. Real sweet potatoes are used to keep the batter tender and light, the perfect sweet treat for any occasion.
Sooooo….winter just blew in like a stinking hurricane. It’s been so windy the past couple days half the siding on my house has blown off….well, maybe just a quarter of it. But it’s a lot! And sooooo loud, it sounds like my house is going to blow right off the hill. Winter definitely made it’s grand entrance and I think it’s here to stay. Honestly, I was in serious denial…I really didn’t think it would ever get cold. It’s like I forgot I lived in the north where they’re now forecasting a seriously wicked winter. So, we may get to use that shiny new snowblower we bought last year after the LAST blizzard. Hooray for small victories!
In the meantime, I’m getting cozy with some comfort food. It’s been awhile since I baked cupcakes for all of you….like since April. And all I could dream about since that time was that crazy amazing meringue frosting. It’s so insanely amazing you’ll want to make a big bowl and spread it on all the things. I decided to make a big batch and spread it on something equally amazing but fitting for the holidays. I found an awesome Sweet Potato Cupcakes recipe on the Better Homes and Gardens site that I tweaked just a bit substituting the canned sweet potatoes for fresh sweet potatoes and added a bit of nutmeg because I think nutmeg should be in just about any sweet potato recipe. That’s just me.
These easy to make Sweet Potato Cupcakes with Marshmallow Meringue Frosting come together pretty quickly…especially if you roast an extra potato, like I did, when you make these Brown Butter Mascarpone Mashed Sweet Potatoes. Sometimes I multi-task like a pro….but most of the time I’m not even the least bit ahead of the game. The frosting can be whipped up while the cupcakes are cooling and, if you don’t have a kitchen torch, you can totally skip the toasting step….they’ll be just as lovely without it.
If you’re looking for a festive dessert for your holiday gatherings this season then these Sweet Potato Cupcakes with Marshmallow Meringue Frosting are the ticket. They have built in portion control so you won’t bust your belt buckle…or you can serve them as part of a fun, holiday cupcake buffet with these Gingerbread Latte beauties or my favorite Caramel Apple Cupcakes.
Get the Recipe: Sweet Potato Cupcakes with Marshmallow Meringue Frosting
- For the cupcakes:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 large roasted sweet potato, peeled and mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- For the frosting:
- 8 large egg whites
- 1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line twenty four 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with baking cups. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter with the paddle attachment on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar and beat on high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating on low speed after each addition until incorporated.
- Add sweet potatoes and vanilla, beating until thoroughly combined.
- Slowly add flour mixture. Beat until combined (the batter will be thick).
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups.
- Bake about 20 minutes or golden brown and cooked through. Cool in pan for 1 minute.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the frosting:
- Fill a saucepan with a few inches of water and bring to a boil.
- Fit a mixing bowl in the pan and make sure it's not touching the water.
- Remove the bowl and whisk the egg whites, sugar, lemon juice and zest, cream of tarter and salt in the bowl by hand.
- Place the bowl above the boiling water and continue whisking until the mixture until the sugar dissolves, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a standing mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and beat at medium-high speed until meringue has cooled and holds stiff peaks have formed, about 5-7 minutes.
- Fill a pastry bag with the frosting and pipe the frosting onto the cupcake (or use an off-set spatula to frost your cupcakes.)
- Lightly toast the frosting with a kitchen torch, if desired.
One Comment on “Sweet Potato Cupcakes with Marshmallow Meringue Frosting”
I loved the recipe!