The Very Best Barbecue Baked Beans
Topped with crisp bacon and blended with TWO secret ingredients, these are definitely the VERY Best Barbecue Baked Beans ever. Tangy, sweet and slightly spicy these beans are baked until bubbly and a great side dish for any occasion.
Here’s where my tinkering in the kitchen started. Baked beans. It was the first time in my life that I realized things don’t always have to be “as is”. As in…straight from the can without any additional intervention. My mom used to doctor up her canned baked beans with some extra brown sugar and a few other things I don’t remember but that’s how I liked them. And I used to watch her do it all the time but when I moved out on my own…I think I bought at least 10-20 different varieties of baked beans before realizing it was what SHE put in them that made them so good. Not what the manufacturer put in them. I never really figured out her concoction so I made one of my own.
I started from square one. That square being….plain old cannellini beans in a can sans “baked” syrupy stuff. I wanted to make my own barbecue sauce that would wow your tastebuds…and your guests. The recipe had to be easy but full of that sweet, tangy barbecue flavor that everyone loves and expects in a baked bean recipe. And bacon…..because, bacon. I also dabbled with a few flavors that definitely won’t be in your favorite canned baked beans….coffee and bourbon. So, essentially, these baked beans could be served for breakfast….or I’ll start putting bourbon in my coffee…or coffee in my bourbon. I’m formulating an idea as I write this.
So….the beans are really easy to make. You stir everything around in a big ole pot and then transfer to a baking dish. Bake for a really long time, like an hour or so and you have the VERY Best Barbecue Baked Beans ever. They go so well with barbecue ribs, chicken and pork. They also make a great topping for hot dogs and deserve a spot on any Hot Dog Bar. And did you know today is National Hot Dog Day? If you’re celebrating, like I will be, with a hot dog in each hand be sure to top it with my New York Style Onions or a big ribbon of Homemade Ketchup.
If you’re looking for more of a trashed up dog to go with the Very Best Barbecue Baked Beans you can try this Walking Taco Dog. Inspired by the Walking Taco popular at every single sporting event I’ve attended (like 3 total), I decided to throw everything on a hot dog….portability is still a thing here. You can walk with this dog just like a bag of chips. It’s loaded with chili (or your fav taco beef), cheese, green onions, tomatoes, olives and crushed corn chips. You know you want one.
Get the Recipe: The Very Best Barbecue Baked Beans
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 vidalia onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1/4 cup fresh brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup ketchup, I used my homemade Ketchup for this one
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili powered
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 16- ounce cans cannelini beans, rinsed and drained
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large sauce pan, render the bacon until slightly crisp over medium heat. Transfer the bacon to a plate and add the onion to the bacon fat. Cook the onions until softened and add the garlic. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in the bourbon and coffee, continue cooking until reduced by half. Approximatley 1 minute. Add the molasses, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, chili powder and allspice. Bring the mixture to a boil and stir in the beans. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Turn off the heat.
- Coat a 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Carefully pour the beans into the baking dish and top with the strips of bacon. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the sauce is thick and syrupy. Allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before servings.