BBQ Baked Beans with Bacon
Topped with crisp bacon and blended with TWO secret ingredients, these are definitely the VERY Best BBQ Baked Beans with bacon ever. Tangy, sweet and slightly spicy these beans are baked until bubbly and a great side dish for any occasion.
BBQ Baked Beans with Bacon
Here’s where my tinkering in the kitchen started. Baked beans. It was the first time in my life that I realized things don’t always have to be “as is”. As in…straight from the can without any additional intervention. My mom used to doctor up her canned baked beans with some extra brown sugar and a few other things I don’t remember but that’s how I liked them.
And I used to watch her do it all the time but when I moved out on my own…I think I bought at least 10-20 different varieties of baked beans before realizing it was what SHE put in them that made them so good. Not what the manufacturer put in them. I never really figured out her concoction so I made one of my own.
I start with plain old cannellini beans in a can sans “baked” syrupy stuff. This homemade Baked Beans recipe is easy but full of that sweet, tangy barbecue flavor that everyone loves and expects in a baked bean recipe. And bacon…..because, bacon. I also added a few flavors that definitely won’t be in your favorite canned baked beans….coffee and bourbon.
How to Make Baked Beans from Scratch
So….the beans are really easy to make. Here’s how to do it.
Cook the bacon in a skillet until slightly crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon.
Fry the onions until softened and stir in the garlic.
Stir in the bourbon and coffee cooking until reduced by half.
Add the molasses, brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, chili powder and allspice. Bring to a boil.
Stir in the beans.
Transfer to a baking dish coated with cooking spray.
Top with the bacon.
Bake for 30-45 minutes.
Rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
What To Serve Them With
Here are some of our other favorites:
- Easy BBQ Ribs in the Oven
- BBQ Grilled Chicken Legs
- The Best Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Recipe
- The Very Best Oven Baked Chicken Breast
More Easy Summer Side Dish Recipes
Get the Recipe: The Very Best Barbecue Baked Beans
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 vidalia onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1/4 cup fresh brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili powered
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 16- ounce cans cannelini beans, rinsed and drained
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- baking dish
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large sauce pan, render the bacon until slightly crisp over medium heat.
- Transfer the bacon to a plate and add the onion to the bacon fat. Cook the onions until softened and add the garlic. Cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the bourbon and coffee, continue cooking until reduced by half. Approximatley 1 minute.
- Add the molasses, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, chili powder and allspice. Bring the mixture to a boil and stir in the beans. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Turn off the heat.
- Coat a 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Carefully pour the beans into the baking dish and top with the strips of bacon.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the sauce is thick and syrupy. Allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before servings.