Easy Classic Coleslaw Recipe
A must have picnic side dish, this Easy Classic Coleslaw recipe is ready in minutes with just a handful of ingredients. Better than your grandma used to make, this one will be a permanent fixture all summer long.
This recipe originally published on May 31, 2017 and was updated on May 23, 2019.
I have a little confession to make….I, actually, share them pretty often here because it’s like my safe space. But this one, I know some people will judge a bit but that’s cool because I love KFC.
That’s right, I’m a big fan of Kentucky Fried Chicken and all it’s glorious sides. Especially…..the KFC Coleslaw. It’s simple and perfect and not overly mayonnaise-y, which a lot of coleslaw tends to be.
And it’s absolutely perfect alongside a pile of fried chicken. I really love when a bit of the coleslaw dressing seeps into the crunchy crust of the chicken, a little sweet/savory action right there.
So, I created a creamy coleslaw recipe that’s totally inspired by the one I love at KFC. And frankly, I think this Basic Coleslaw recipe is even better than their version. I added a bit of greek yogurt to the dressing to lighten it up a bit without losing the flavor one bit. You still get the classic creamy coleslaw without the extra fat and calories.
How to Make Coleslaw
Perfectly shredded cabbage is the base for this Easy Classic Coleslaw recipe with a little chopped carrot throw in for color and a little extra crunch. The coleslaw dressing recipe is a perfect blend of mayonnaise, greek yogurt, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper and, the coleslaw must have, celery seed.
Don’t skip it…it totally makes the dish!
To make the BEST Coleslaw recipe:
- Toss the cabbage and carrot in a bowl to combine. Set aside.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients to make the coleslaw dressing.
- Pour the coleslaw dressing over the cabbage and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Stir before serving, if making in advance.
And the best part….this easy Coleslaw recipe is BETTER THAN THE KFC Coleslaw recipe!
How long does fresh Coleslaw last?
This healthy coleslaw recipe will last in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days if stored properly.
Be sure to transfer your coleslaw to an airtight container before placing in the refrigerator.
How long can Coleslaw last at room temperature?
Because bacteria can grow quickly at room temperature, coleslaw should not sit out for longer than 2 hours. Discard any coleslaw that has been sitting out longer than that time frame to ensure you are serving safe food.
What to Serve with Creamy Coleslaw
We also like it alongside these reader favorites:
- Carolina Style BBQ Chicken
- Easy Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Honey Chipotle BBQ Chicken
- On top of this BBQ Beef Brisket Sundae
- Old Bay Grilled Chicken Wings
- Spicy Grilled BBQ Ribs
Looking for even more fresh Summer Side Dishes? Try these!
- Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- The BEST Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Greek Chopped Pasta Salad
- Black Eyed Pea and Corn Salad
- Easy German Potato Salad….with BACON
- Asian Style Slaw.
I also love this Buttermilk Coleslaw recipe from Spicy Southern Kitchen!!! It’s soooo refreshing with a great twist on a classic.
Classic Cole Slaw Recipe
Better than KFC...this classic Cole slaw recipe is a staple at every barbecue!
- 3 cups finely chopped green cabbage
- 1 cup finely diced carrot
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup low fat greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 tsp sugar or honey
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, toss together the cabbage and carrot to combine. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, yogurt, vinegar, celery seed and sugar until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage and stir to coat.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Coleslaw can be made up to 3 days in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.