Tomato Jam and Cheddar Palmiers
Sweet tomato jam and cheddar pair well in these addicting appetizers. Tomato Jam and Cheddar Palmiers are simple to make with refrigerated puff pastry and add a surprisingly sweet treat to your appetizer table.
Happy Hump Day everyone! I hope you’re week is going swimmingly….the sun has returned to my corner of the earth and I’m bringing back summer just a little bit. All this Halloween mumbo jumbo is jumping the gun a bit but I hope it’s helping you plan your blow out Halloween bash. We’ll be hosting a pre-trick or treat party this year to kick off the evening before we go out to beg for candy from all our lovely neighbors. But for now….let’s celebrate the fact that we bottled up a bit of summer in a jar.
Remember this tomato jam? Well, I’ve been slathering it on all the things lately like crackers and epic grilled cheese sandwiches. So I started brainstorming all the OTHER things I could use it for and, well, holiday parties and tailgating are going to be in full force soon…why not make a little appetizer that’s sweet and cheesy. Buttery puff pastry will be the delivery system to get it into our mouths. (You can find it in your grocer’s freezer section.)
So easy to make, you just roll out your thawed (but still chilled) dough and add a thin layer of tomato jam over the entire surface. Sprinkle with a fine white cheddar (I like Cabot’s Seriously Sharp Cheddar) and roll that baby up. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for an hour or until about an hour before you’re ready to serve. This will help keep the filling inside the pastry instead of squishing it all out when you cut it. Remove from the plastic wrap, slice, bake and serve. Tomato Jam and Cheddar Palmiers couldn’t be easier OR tastier and are fantastic paired with a Bloody Margarita. Even though summer’s over, we can still get a taste of it every now and then.
Tomato and Cheddar Palmiers
Sweet, salt and tangy pastry palmiers....the ultimate party appetizer.
- 2 sheets puff pastry thawed according to package instructions
- 4 tablespoons tomato jam
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out one sheet of puff pastry until 1/4 inch thickness and spread 2 tablespoons evenly over the surface. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of cheese. Fold the sides of the dough towards the center so they meet halfway in the middle. Fold the sides again so the two folds meet in the center and then fold 1 half over the other so it sits on top. You will have 6 layers. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and repeat with remaining pastry.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
- Slice the dough into 3/8-inch slices and place the slices, cut side up on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the palmers for 6 minutes. Turn each over with a spatula and bake another 3-4 minutes or until golden brown and puffed up. Remove from the oven and cool for 2 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.