Watermelon Agua Fresca
Refreshing and easy, Watermelon Agua Fresca is simple to make with vibrant, thirst-quenching flavor. Simply Watermelon water with a splash of lime, this summer drink is perfect for the hottest days ahead.
Watermelon Agua Fresca
Swampy summer weather is finally here and it’s absolutely glorious. After the longest winter ever and spending so much time indoors, I’m so exciting to get some real vitamin D from long lazy days in the sun with a drink in hand. This Watermelon Agua Fresca is the best beverage summer has to offer.
Once I start seeing those gorgeous watermelons pop up at the farm stands, I’m all about making homemade Agua Fresca because it’s so simple, healthy and light. It’s one of the best ways to rehydrate when it’s hot outside…one sip and you can feel the goodness right down to your toes!
This drink is as refreshing as a dip in the ocean….really. Light and slightly sweet with the pure essence of watermelon. Not like a powdered watermelon drink mix at all. This is so easy….a little messy but worth it in the end.
What is Agua Fresca
Aguas frescas are light, non-alcoholic beverages made from one or several fruits, grains, flowers, or seeds blended with sugar and water. They originated in Mexico and are popular in Central America and the United States. Some of the more common flavors are watermelon, hibiscus, and horchata, just to name a few.
You can really make an Agua Fresca with just about any fruit you want but my favorite is this Watermelon Agua Fresca recipe because I feel like you get more bang for your buck with a watermelon. There’s more juice in the watermelon so you’ll definitely find it to be a little more economical than making, say, a mango or strawberry Agua Fresca.
How to Make It
An Agua Fresca is so crazy easy to make and you can have your fresh watermelon water ready to go in just a few minutes.
- Cut the watermelon in half.
- Scoop the flesh of the watermelon into a blender.
- Blend the watermelon until pureed.
- Strain the watermelon through a fine mesh sieve with a bowl underneath to catch the juice.
- Transfer the juice to a pitcher.
- Stir in the sugar and lime juice to combine.
- Chill the Watermelon Agua Fresca, if desired, for up to 72 hours.
- Serve over ice with lime wedges and watermelon for garnish.
Tips for Making Agua Frescas
- Fruit – Be sure your fruit is sweet and ripe. If you’re using underripe fruit, the yield of juice just won’t be enough and you’ll have a weaker concoction because the water will dilute it even more.
- Sugar – Extra fine or caster sugar works best but you can use granulated sugar. Honey, also, adds a nice flavor.
- Taste – BEFORE YOU ADD THE SUGAR, taste your drink…if your fruit is sweet enough, you may be able to skip the sugar completely.
Get creative with the flavor of your drink and use your favorite fruits to keep the party going. We love making Strawberry, Mango, Pineapple and Guava Agua Frescas when we have them lying around.
If you love this refreshing and easy beverage, you’ll also like this easy Strawberry Lemonade...completely from scratch and so simple. Or you can easily whip up a glass of Southern Sweet Tea.…it’s a summer staple!
Get the Recipe: Watermelon Agua Fresca Recipe
- 1 seedless watermelon, approximately 4-5 pounds
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar, I used caster, or extra-fine, sugar
- 3 limes, juiced
- Cut the watermelon into large cubes and discard the rinds.
- Place the watermelon in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Pour the watermelon through a mesh strainer into a large bowl.
- Add the water, sugar and lime juice to the watermelon juice and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Chill until ready to serve.