How to Make Strawberry Puree
The easiest strawberry sauce for all your favorite desserts! Simple Strawberry Puree is made with just a couple ingredients and two minutes….and it’s fantastic on ice cream, angel food cake, in your yogurt, sweeten your smoothie and more!
Strawberry season is winding down but that doesn’t mean we can’t preserve the fresh summer flavor to enjoy all year long. I LOVE to add bright, fresh strawberry flavor to a lot of my recipes and not just limit it to summer so we always make Strawberry Puree this time of year to have in the freezer for a fresh taste of summer.
We didn’t get to go strawberry picking this year because the season seemed to fly by so quickly but isn’t that how summer always works? Summer just didn’t hang around quite as long as I’d like because
This easy Strawberry Puree recipe comes together in seconds, too! You just throw everything into your blender or food processor and whirl away for a few minutes until it’s smooth. And voila….you have a sweet Strawberry sauce to use on anything you want.
I even used to make strawberry puree for an easy baby food recipe that my son just LOVED! And I could make it in just a few seconds, as smooth or as chunky as I like. You can make a big batch and either stash it in the refrigerator or freeze it for later.
How to Make Strawberry Puree
This recipe for Strawberry Puree is so simple to make and takes virtually no time at all. All you need are three ingredients….strawberries, sugar and a squeeze of lemon juice.
You can make your strawberry puree using fresh or frozen strawberries (here’s how I freeze FRESH strawberries) for great results…there’s really not much difference in flavor or texture one you make the strawberry sauce.
To make strawberry puree:
- Place the strawberries, sugar and lemon juice in a food processor or blender.
- Puree the berries until smooth, approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer the strawberry puree to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. OR FREEZE your strawberry puree for up to 3 months in an airtight container.
The strawberry puree will be on the thinner side, like a loose strawberry sauce and is perfect for filling your favorite cakes and cupcakes. Drizzle a bit of sauce over your favorite cheesecake or stir into a refreshing drink like lemonade.
How to Reduce Strawberry Sauce
If you want a thicker Strawberry Puree you can easily reduce it on the stovetop in a large saucepan.
- Place the strawberry puree in a large saucepan and stir in 1 cup of water.
- Bring the puree to a boil over medium heat and then turn the heat to medium.
- Continue to simmer for approximately 15 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and reduced by 1/2.
How to Remove the Seeds from Strawberry Puree
If you want an even smoother sauce you can strain out the seeds from your strawberry puree using a fine mesh sieve. Some smaller seeds may sneak through the wholes of the sieve but most of them will be strained out.
For an even smoother strawberry puree, line you mesh sieve with cheesecloth and strain your puree by pouring it through the cheesecloth and press it down with a rubber spatula.
How Long Does Fruit Puree Last
You can store this puree in the refrigerator for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
You can also FREEZE your strawberry puree in an airtight and freezer safe container for up to 3 months. To use frozen fruit puree, simply thaw in the refrigerator overnight or heat in the microwave for 30-40 seconds, stirring after 20 seconds.
How to Use It
My favorite ways to use strawberry puree is over a simple, store-bought angel food cake but here are some other things that your sauce can add some extra flavor to:
- The BEST EVER New York Cheesecake recipe.
- Add more flavor to this easy Strawberry Shortcake
- Spoon over this buttery Pound Cake recipe
- Drizzle on this fabulously simple Vanilla Ice Cream
You can also use this simple sauce to serve over grilled pork for a savory twist on the sweet strawberries we all love. It’s surprisingly amazing and I think EVERYONE should try a little fruit puree on their grilled meats this summer….what do you think?
Get the Recipe: How to Make Strawberry Puree
- 4 cups strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- blender or food processor
- Place the strawberries, sugar and lemon juice in the bowl of a food processor or blender.
- Puree the strawberries for 1 minutes.
- Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl and process for another minute or until the strawberries are smooth.
- Transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.