Zucchini Fritters are the best summer appetizer! Fresh zucchini is made delicious with a handful of bold ingredients before being pan fried to crispy perfection. This easy recipe is perfect for serving at all of your upcoming summertime events!
I’m such a zucchini lover! Whether it’s my favorite zucchini bread or zucchini boats, I’m always thrilled to throw this summer veggie into all kinds of dishes.
With that being said, I think my latest favorite zucchini recipe is these easy fritters. They’re the BEST appetizer for summer gatherings since they’re light enough to enjoy on a hot day but hearty enough to help actually hit the spot.
Making these zucchini fritters is incredibly easy. It’s as simple as grating the zucchini, tossing it with a handful of inexpensive ingredients, dividing the batter and frying it up in the pan in just a few minutes with some butter.
The end result is a crisp, flavorful, and oh so summery appetizer that’s perfect for dipping into some ranch dressing or really any other dip that sounds good to you.
One of my absolute favorite things about zucchini fritters is that they’re kid-friendly. Yes! Even the pickiest eaters at my table don’t put up a fight when it comes to eating these fried fritters made with lots of healthy green zucchini. This recipe is a fabulous way to sneak some veggies onto your little one’s plate, especially if you serve it up with a dipping sauce you know they’ll like.
How to Make Zucchini Fritters
This easy summer appetizer recipe takes just a few minutes to whip up!
- Prepare the zucchini. Wash the zucchini and cut off the stem end. Grate the zucchini, then place it in a bowl with salt. Set aside for half an hour. Then, place the zucchini in a fine mesh sieve lined with paper towels and gently press down to get rid of the extra water.
- Make the batter. Combine the zucchini, eggs, scallion, parsley and cheddar cheese. In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the zucchini mixture and mix until combined.
- Cook the fritters. Melt butter in a skillet. Divide the batter into 8 portions. Fry over medium heat until golden on both sides.
- Let cool, then serve. Transfer the fritters onto a paper towel lined plate so they can cool and drip off the excess grease. Then, serve and enjoy!
Why do my zucchini fritters fall apart?
It’s likely because the batter was a little bit too wet! To prevent this from happening, make sure you let the zucchini sit for a full 30 minutes with the salt prior to squeezing out all of that excess water. Zucchini naturally has a ton of water, which we want to get rid of before we make these fritters.
Another thing that could make the fritters fall apart is the pan they’re cooked in. I add a generous amount of butter that fully coats my skillet. If you skimp on the butter, the fritters will stick to the skillet and fall apart when you try to flip them.
Can I freeze zucchini fritters?
Yes! This is a great freezer-friendly recipe. Simply wait for the fritters to cool to room temperature, then transfer them to an airtight container and store for up to 3 months. You may want to layer them with pieces of parchment paper to keep them from sticking to each other. When you’re ready to enjoy the fritters, just pop them in the oven at 325°F and let them cook until warmed all the way through.
Check out more of my favorite appetizers to make this summer!
For more summer recipe ideas, follow us on Instagram and Facebook!
Get the Recipe: Zucchini Fritters Recipe
- 4 medium zucchini, approximately 1.5 – 2 pounds
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 scallions, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- Butter for frying
- 1 skillet
- Wash the zucchini and cut off the stem end.
- Using a box grater, grate the zucchini on the large holes or use the grater attachment on your food processor.
- Place the grated zucchini in a large bowl and sprinkle with a 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Transfer the zucchini to a fine mesh sieve lined with paper towels and press down to remove the extra water.
- Transfer back to the mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs, scallion, parsley and cheddar cheese. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Add the dry ingredients to the zucchini mixture and stir until well combined.
- Melt enough butter to cover the bottom of a frying pan, generously.
- Divide the batter roughly into 8 and drop into the skillet. Cook in batches, if necessary, so you don’t crowd the pan.
- Fry over medium heat until golden, approximately 2-3 minutes
- Using a wide spatula, turn the fritters over and fry the other side until golden.
- Remove from the pan and place the fritters on a paper towel lined plate or platter.
- Serve immediately.