Easy make ahead Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches that are ready when you are. This Egg McMuffin copycat is so simple to whip up and freeze, you’ll never make a drive-thru run again. A healthy breakfast option you’ll make all year long.
So…..I love McDonald’s. I do. I know it’s bad but I love everything about it. Feel free to give me the lowdown on how bad their food is for me but I love the Quarter Pounder with Cheese…the Filet o’ Fish, the fries, the apple pies, the milkshakes, the fries, the Double Cheeseburgers, the fries. You get the picture. I, especially, love their breakfast sandwiches. All of them. Every.Single.One. And I used to make frequent stops through their drive-thru on my way to the office several times a week. I know what you’re thinking….I wasn’t a fatty. I read the nutritional facts, I knew what I was eating. So, MOST of the time I would order the Egg McMuffin because it was the “healthy” option available at the time. Pre Egg White Delite!
Since I work from home now, you’d think a healthy breakfast would be a slam dunk. I have all the ingredients at my fingertips to whip up so fruit packed grain bowl with greek yogurt or big, fluffy pancakes. But sometimes I get up at the crack of dawn and don’t stop working until I suddenly realize the “hangries” have set in. I missed breakfast completely because I didn’t plan ahead. Same old story as when I worked OUTSIDE the home except….I don’t have a McDonald’s in my house to swing through and grab a breakfast sandwich. So, like usual….I took matters into my own hands and whipped up some homemade Egg McMuffins to stash in my freezer.
These easy Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches are exactly what you get in an Egg McMuffin….perfectly round egg, cheddar cheese, Canadian bacon piled high on an English Muffin. I cooked my eggs in a jumbo muffin tin to get the exact size I needed but you could use a round ramekin if you have them. Be sure to spray the inside with cooking spray and give the eggs a little whisk to break up the yolk a bit.
After the eggs have cooled, remove them from the muffin tin or ramekin. Assemble the sandwich on an english muffin (I used the multi-grain muffin from Thomas’….it has 8 grams of fiber!) and then wrap them up individually with plastic wrap.
Place your individually wrapped sandwiches in a zip-top freezer bag and write the cooking instructions on the outside of the bag. Transfer to the freezer and wait for breakfast. If you can wait that long.
These Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches are a lifesaver now, I pop one in the microwave while I’m getting my son ready for school and it’s ready when we leave. A great grab and go breakfast that’s healthy and satisfying. If you have spare time, pair it with this citrus salad or make it super healthy with a glass of this green juice! For more breakfast ideas and time saving tips…follow me on Facebook!
Make Ahead Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches
- 6 large eggs
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 6 english muffins, split in half
- 6 slices canadian bacon
- 6 slices cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat a jumbo muffin tin with cooking spray and crack one egg in each well. Lightly whisk each egg with a fork. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the muffin tin to the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes or until the egg is firm. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Assemble the sandwich by layering the bottom half of the english muffin with a slice of canadian bacon, one egg round, a slice of cheese and top with the other half of the english muffin. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and set aside. Repeat with the remaining muffins, bacon, egg and cheese.
- Once all the sandwiches are assembled and wrapped, place them in a zip-top freezer bag and press out all the air before sealing. Write the heating instructions on the outside of the bag. (1-2 minutes on high in the microwave.) Transfer to the freezer.
- When ready to cook, remove one sandwich from the freezer bag and open one end of the plastic wrap. (So the sandwich doesn't steam and become soggy.) Heat the sandwich in the microwave for 1-2 minutes (start with 1 minute and then heat at 30 second increments until heated through). Remove from the plastic wrap immediately and serve.