Freezer Breakfast Burritos with Chorizo
Start your day with a party if your mouth! These super easy Freezer Breakfast Burritos with Chorizo are packed with flavor and fantastic for busy mornings. The perfect breakfast meal prep that’s a lifesaver on busy mornings.
With the hubbub of school starting and the rushing around in the morning…it’s uber important to make sure you eat breakfast. Like your mother said, it’s the most important meal of the day.
And whether you like pancakes or scrambled eggs…you should always sit down to enjoy a little something in your belly. But I do remember the days when I was scrambling to get out the door and was desperate for something to heat up at the office like these Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches OR THESE Freezer Breakfast Burritos with Chorizo!
FREEZER BREAKFAST BURRITOS
The ultimate in meal prepping for breakfast, these Breakfast Burritos are made with chorizo sausage, scrambled eggs, peppers, onions and cheese. Lots of cheese.
You can easily customize them to satisfy just about anyone in the family but this concoction is a family favorite and is super easy to make a big batch in no time.
Making a big batch takes about 30 minutes and you can add leftover potatoes to fill them out even more. We like to keep them low carb so I always skip the potatoes but when we feel indulgent they are a welcome addition to our chorizo and egg burrito.
WHAT SIZE TORTILLA TO USE
Since tortillas come in a variety of sizes, it’s important to look for tortillas that are the perfect size so your burrito can hold all the filling without spilling out. A one handed breakfast burrito is a life saver when you’re rushing around in the morning.
Be sure to look for flour tortillas in the 10- to 12-inch range, any smaller and your burrito could fall apart. Corn tortillas do not work well when freezing and reheating but you can substitute with whole wheat tortillas with excellent results.
If you’re using refrigerated tortillas, be sure to allow them to come to room temperature before using.
HOW TO MAKE BREAKFAST BURRITOS
Freezer Breakfast Burritos with Chorizo are super easy to make and great for stashing in the freezer for those days when you’d rather just take your coffee intravenously.
In a skillet, you’ll brown your chorizo, cook your onions, peppers and garlic, and scramble your eggs.
Spoon the eggs into the center of your tortilla.
Top the eggs with the chorizo mixture.
Sprinkle with cheese.
Roll up….burrito style, of course.
HOW TO FREEZE BREAKFAST BURRITOS
Wrap your Freezer Breakfast Burritos with Chorizo tightly in plastic wrap, then in foil and freeze in a single layer on a baking sheet. Once frozen, place them in a zip top freezer bag to keep for up to 1 month.
Freezing the burritos in a single layer speeds up the freezing process helping to keep the tortillas from steaming and becoming soggy.
HOW TO REHEAT BREAKFAST BURRITOS
For best results, thaw your burrito in the freezer overnight. Then, unwrap the foil and plastic. Roll the burrito up in a paper towel and heat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes OR heat in a skillet over medium high heat until crispy and golden.
If heating from a frozen state, roll the burrito up in a paper towel then heat in the microwave at 50% power for 3-5 minutes (or use the defrost function, if you have one) before microwaving at full power for 1-2 minutes. Don’t forget to remove the foil before heating in the microwave.
TIPS FOR PERFECT BREAKFAST BURRITOS
- Use a flour tortilla that’s about 10-12 inches in diameter. Do not use corn tortillas.
- To prevent soggy tortillas, allow the filling ingredients to cool to room temperature before filling your burritos.
- Reheat your burritos until just heated through so you don’t overcook the eggs. As eggs continue to cook, protein molecules seize up and expel water causing the burrito to become soggy.
They’re great served with salsa, diced tomatoes, sour cream, avocado, guacamole…whatever you want actually. And if you want to get all wild and cray cray….add some black beans or sautéed corn to the chorizo mixture! Now you have one over the top breakfast!
WANT MORE BREAKFAST INSPIRATION? FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM AND FACEBOOK FOR MORE EASY FAMILY FAVORITE RECIPES!
Freezer Breakfast Burritos with Chorizo
- 4 ounces fresh chorizo sausage casing removed (Spicy Italian Sausage is a good replacement)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced bell pepper I used red and orange
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 6 large eggs
- 6 large flour tortillas
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded oaxaca cheese Mozzarella can be substituted
- In a large skillet, crumble the sausage with a fork and cook over medium heat until browned and no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined bowl.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook until softened.
- Stir in the pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic to the onion mixture and cook for 1 minute.
- Transfer the onion mixture to the bowl with the chorizo and wipe out the skillet with a paper towel.
- Crack the eggs into a medium bowl and whisk briefly to combine.
- Pour the eggs into the skillet and cook over medium heat stirring periodically until the eggs are cooked through.
- Place one tortilla on a flat surface and spoon some of the egg mixture into the center of the tortilla.
- Spoon some of the chorizo mixture over the eggs.
- Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons cheddar and 1 tablespoon oaxaca cheese over the chorizo mixture.
- Roll the burrito up by folding the edge closest to you over the egg mixture and then folding both sided inward. Roll the burrito away from you until closed.
- Wrap the burrito tightly in plastic wrap.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Place all burritos in the bag and press out the air. Zip shut and place in the freezer.
- To reheat: Unwrap the burrito from the plastic wrap and rewrap in a paper towel. Heat the burrito in the microwave for 1-2 minutes until cooked through.
- Alternatively, you can reheat the burrito in a skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until crisp, golden brown and cooked through.