There’s nothing better than homemade meatballs and my version of Swedish Meatballs is the ultimate comfort food. Bathed in a rich, creamy gravy and perched on a pile of buttery egg noodles, these are WAY better than IKEA!
We have a playroom in the basement that needs attention….desperately. I wanted to post a pic to show you just how disastrous the room is right not but it would hurt your eyes and, probably, ruin your appetite. I’ve been begging my husband to go to IKEA for the past few weeks without any luck. I’ll, most likely, have to go there alone….and afraid. That place stresses me out. If you haven’t been to an IKEA, let me take you on a little visual tour. The place is gigantic….like an insanely huge warehouse filled with 25 or more of your very own dream rooms. When you walk in, you’re greeted by the biggest petri dish on the planet….the kids playroom. Completely with ball pit. Germ fest going on there. Landon has never stepped foot in that room…we’re usually in and out in record time. Head upstairs on the escalator and you weave through a maze like arrangement of modernly decorated mini abodes. Like room after room is a perfectly showcased urban oasis that you could just pull a tag off the wall and, basically, buy the whole room. Next up, accessories….tons of them, like a sea of plate, posters, and fuzzy rugs. And finally….the cafeteria….with their famous Swedish Meatballs…which are really good but not as good as mine. This is the end of the tour….let’s whip up some meatballs, shall we?
Did I mention that I HATE going to IKEA? The place gives me a severe case of anxiety. I can’t stay more than 20 minutes MAX and never get to the point where I want to sit down to a plate of meatballs for $3.99. No…I need to get home. So, to kill my Swedish Meatball craving I make my own. And they’re much better than IKEA. Like a thousand times better…because they’re homemade and because they’re amazing. 🙂
These Swedish Meatballs are really easy to make and come together pretty quickly. I like to pile them high on a mountain of buttered egg noodles tossed with a bit of chopped parsley. The blend of the two together is like nothing else. And homemade is always better….like THESE meatballs.…people will be begging you to make these week after week. So…just add them to your weekly meal plan now. And maybe these meatballs too, they were famous on Facebook last week. They’re pretty epic.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over med-high heat. Add the onions to the pan and cook until softened. Allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix the ground beef, egg, bread crumbs, milk, onion, salt, pepper, nutmeg and allspice until combined. Form the mixture into 1 inch balls.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in the skillet over medium heat and add the meatballs to the pan. Saute the meatballs until golden brown on all sides, about 7-10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the meatballs to a platter. Drain off all but 2 tablespoons of fat from the skillet and return to the heat. Add the flour to the pan and whisk until golden brown, approximately 1-2 minutes. Slowly add the beef stock and whisk until the sauce begins to thicken. Whisk in the cream and continue to cook until the gravy is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Return the meatballs to the pan and simmer for 1-2 minutes. Serve over egg noodles, rice or mashed potatoes.