Homemade Beef Stock
Rich and hearty, this easy recipe for Homemade Beef Stock is great to stockpile for the winter months. Deep, roasted flavor abounds in this simple bone broth that’s great for soup recipes or just on it’s own for a healthy, warming meal.
Homemade Beef Stock
The backbone of so many recipes here, easy to make Beef Stock is like liquid gold. There’s nothing quite like a homemade stock and it couldn’t be simpler to make. Plus, there’s something comforting in knowing you’re simmering a big pot of heaven that’s going to feed you for many meals to come.
You can use beef stock in place of chicken stock to add more richness to a recipe (did you know that?) and nobody will even know. I’ve even passed off my favorite gravy recipe as turkey when, in fact, I used this meaty beef stock. Now you know my secret!
How To Make It
I like to keep things in the freezer to help my soup making a little easier…and tastier with richer, more bold flavors than if I use a box stock. I always have homemade Chicken Stock and Beef Stock on hand so my soups are the best they can be. And they’re surprisingly easy to make.
I like to roast my beef bones and veggies beforehand to ensure I have the Best Beef Stock ever.
Arrange the beef bones and vegetables in a single layer on a baking sheet.
Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Roast for 30 minutes.
Transfer to a stock pot and fill with water.
Stir in herbs and seasonings.
Bring to a boil, then turn to low and simmer for 2-3 hours.
Allow the beef stock to cool and then strain.
Transfer to jars or airtight containers and store in the refrigerator or freeze for up to 3 months.
How To Use It
It’s such a great addition to any recipe calling for beef stock like this beef stew or this easy Beef and Barley Soup. You’ll reach for the Very Best Beef Stock again and again….so make sure you make a big pot this weekend so you’re ready for your own soup bender.
We also love using it for this Beef Cabbage Soup, our favorite Short Rib Ragu and this EASY Mississippi Pot Roast!
More Easy Soup Recipes
Follow us on Instagram and Facebook for MORE family dinner ideas!
Get the Recipe: The Very Best Beef Stock
- 5 pounds beef marrow bones, you can get them from well stocked grocery stores
- 4 carrots, cut in half
- 4 celery stalks, cut in half
- 1 large red onion, quartered
- 1 head of garlic, cut in half
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 1 cup fresh sage leaves
- 1 cup fresh thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Arrange bones, carrots, celery, onion and garlic in an even layer on a baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes.
- Transfer the ingredients to a large stockpot and add cold water to cover. Stir in the parsley, sage, thyme, rosemary, salt and peppercorns.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 hours.
- Allow the stock to cool and strain.
- Transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
2 Comments on “Homemade Beef Stock”
have you priced out marrow bones lately? – this would cost a fortune for 1 qt of stock
I haven’t…..that’s a good point. This is an older recipe but I’ll research other alternatives to share with you all.