The cutest Rice Krispie Treats ever, these super easy to make Rice Krispie Treat Footballs are made with just a few ingredients and decorated with white chocolate laces. Fun for the kids to make and great for any football party or tailgate!
I wasn’t going to post these. I really wasn’t at all but I’ve been making them for years and that was the whole point of this site…to share some of my favorite recipes with friends and family. This is one of them. Just to give you a little background, I’m not a big football watcher. If I happen to catch a glimpse of a game…it’s totally by accident and most likely there was food in the vicinity so I saw it completely involuntarily. But I WAS a cheerleader…and then I WAS a cheer mom. And when you’re a cheer mom you have to do things like bake stuff for the bake sale table at the home game. AND since I was a cheer mom when I was working in an office full-time…baking wasn’t something I really wanted to do if I all I was going to do was give it away. Know what I mean? So, I often looked for things that made me look “Martha Stewart-like” without having to open the oven door. That’s how these Rice Krispie Treat Footballs came to be.
And just so you know, I don’t think I invented them…however, I do think I perfected them. How…you ask? Well, for one thing, I wanted the laces to stay put when I wrapped them up for the bake sale. Frosting was just not going to do that so I opted for white chocolate and piped it on using a sandwich bag with the corner snipped off. I, also, added a bit more marshmallow than usual so they wouldn’t get too hard when sitting out for hours waiting for a customer. Which was never a problem because these Rice Krispie Treat Footballs always fly off the table. How could they not….hello, chocolate!?!?
And the real reason I wasn’t going to post these is because they’re so simple….and they’re not super pretty because it’s kinda difficult to pipe a straight line on a bumpy surface like a Rice Krispie Treat. But my son helped make these….and he is actually, sorta in love with them so we ate a bunch then went to hang out in his playhouse in the yard talking about bugs and stuff. Because it’s about to get really cold and I want to do things with this little guy, like make Gingerbread Mummies, Rice Krispie Treat Footballs and Rice Krispie Peeps before he decides he’s too cool to hang with mom anymore.
So, the next time you have a football event…whether it be a high school game, tailgating event or just because your family is die-hard football fans, grab a box of Cocoa Krispies, some Ghirardelli chocolate wafers and marshmallows and go to town. These are completely addicting.
Rice Krispie Treat Footballs
- 5 tablespoons salted butter
- 6 cups mini marshmallows
- 6 cups cocoa krispies
- 1 cup white chocolate wafers (I used Ghirardelli)
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter and stir in the marshmallows. Cook the mixture until the marshmallows are melted completely.
- Stir in the cocoa krispies until thoroughly combined.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment and spray your hands lightly with cooking spray.
- Spoon the about 2 heaping tablespoons of rice krispie mixture into the palm of your hand and shape into a football. Place on the baking sheet to cool.
- Repeat with the remaining rice krispie mixture, spraying your hands with cooking spray as needed to prevent sticking.
- Allow the footballs to cool to room temperature.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl at 30 second intervals in the microwave. Transfer the melted chocolate to a zip top bag and cut off one corner of the bag.
- Pipe the laces onto the footballs and allow to cool until hardened.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 48 hours or serve immediately.