The ultimate Mexican comfort food, this Easy Pork Posole recipe is the perfect family dinner. Bright, vibrant flavor that will keep you coming back for spoonful after spoonful. Healthy, hearty and satisfying.
Disclaimer: This post is created in partnership with the Minnesota Pork Board as part of the Pass the Pork Blogger Tour. All opinions and statements are my own, as always.
Hey all! Election day is finally over and we can, now, get back to our regularly scheduled lives. Did you get out to vote? We sure did…and it was a family affair. It was pretty awesome to get the whole family in the car and drive to the polls together. AND it was my daughter’s first time voting so that was pretty amazing itself. We won’t get too deep into the political discussion because that’s something I don’t like to discuss…that and money but what an election year it’s been, right? Kinda crazy and so glad that now….we can look forward to the holidays with friends and family and more crazy. 🙂
A few weeks ago I visited the Wakefield pork farm and learned all about the pork farming industry….remember? Well, if you don’t...you can catch all the fun details HERE. The trip, which was hosted by the Minnesota Pork Board, was such an eye opener and, honestly, I thought that maybe I’d come back not such a pork fan…but guess what? I still am!
With the holiday’s approaching, the family and I (not the Wakefield’s…my actual family) are trying to eat a bit more healthily before the cookies, cakes and pies start rolling in. To keep calories in check, I love to cook with pork. It’s lean but flavorful and packed with protein….and it soaks up flavors like a sponge. I always cook pork in things that I love like this Champagne Braised Pork...you’re going to want to make this one soon….or this Asian Style Pork Chop. Both super easy and perfect for family dinner.
That’s where this Easy Pork Posole comes in….it’s, well, super easy to make and packed with bold flavors that you’re entire family is going to flip over. The longer it cooks, the better it gets and if you make it a day in advance….well, you’re in for a full on flavor bomb. Pork Posole (or Pozole) is a Mexican stew that’s loaded with hominy and tons of chili flavor….I made my version super simple by skipping the homemade chili sauce and using my easy Enchilada Sauce. It’s not traditional but it really gives you the flavor without having to make absolutely everything from scratch.
And this Easy Pork Posole is perfect for a family gathering because you can just serve the whole thing in the pot you cooked it in. Serve with a huge assortment of garnishes like shredded cabbage, jalapeños, avocados, cilantro, green onion, lime and radishes…it’s really about the garnishes, right? And make your own Posole the way you want….with spice or without…with crunch or not so much…with avocado…lots of avocado. The choice is your’s…now share it with your family.
Easy Pork Posole (Pozole Rojo)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 1/2 pound boneless pork loin
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 3 15-ounce cans hominy, drained and rinsed
- Diced avocado, shredded cabbage, diced onion, sliced radishes and/or fresh cilantro, for topping
- Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Whisk together the salt and cumin. Coat the pork loin in the salt mixture and add to the pan.
- Brown the pork on each side until golden brown.
- Transfer the pork to a platter and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook until softened.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock to the pot and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the enchilada sauce.
- Return the pork to the pot, cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove the pork and shred. Return the pork to the pot.
- Stir in the hominy, cover and continue simmering for an additional hour.
- Serve the stew with the avocado, cabbage, onion, radish and cilantro.
|Serving Size||1 1/2 cups|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 422kcal Calories from fat 145|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 16g||25%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||20%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|