5 Minute Maple Bourbon Gravy // Video
Forgot the gravy? This 5 Minute Maple Bourbon Gravy is whipped up with just a few ingredients from your pantry in less than 5 minutes. Don’t like bourbon? Leave it out, this gravy is completely customizable.
Happy Thanksgiving week, friends! Who was lucky enough to score the entire week off? But it’s not really a week off if you’re hosting dinner on Thursday, especially if you have any family weirdness to anticipate. Lucky for me, I have a low-key holiday on my agenda and I get to relax a bit….since cooking is what relaxes me. Now the dishes….let’s not even go there.
I’ve been busy thinking of everything I will need to stuff my family with and already started making some of the side dishes like this Super Simple Cranberry Sauce. The problem with working ahead is….I completely forget to serve dishes like cranberry sauce because they’ve been waiting patiently in the back of the fridge for a few days. And then there are things like…gravy, that have to be made right before dinner is served if you’re hoping to add in those coveted pan drippings. I always forget about the gravy and, let me tell you, my family….they LOVE their gravy. I can never….EVER…EVVVVVERR….let them know I forgot about the gravy.
So, I came up with a quick gravy recipe that I, actually, whip up all year long with all sorts of stock. Turkey stock was used for this version but I’ve made it with chicken and beef with great results. It’s not really rocket science but like most recipes…it’s all about technique. I even made a short video to show you how easy it is to make your very own gravy from scratch and how to eliminate those awful lumps. No need to serve gravy from a can or jar anymore. It’s absolutely perfect on this fool-proof roast turkey or my simple roasted chicken. Go ahead, give it a try and I bet you’ll never serve pre-made, store-bought gravy ever again. If you even remembered to buy it. 🙂
Get the Recipe: 5 Minute Maple Bourbon Gravy
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 32 ounce box turkey stock, you can use chicken or beef, as well
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons bourbon
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Slowly whisk in the flour to create a roux. Turn the heat to low. Continue cooking until the roux begins to turn a golden brown and starts to smell nutty, approximately 1-2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the stock and stir until smooth. Stir in the garlic powder, onion powder and sage. Whisk in the maple syrup and bourbon. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil. Immediately turn the heat to low and simmer until thickened, approximately 1 minute. Transfer to a gravy boat and serve.