Apple Butter Pulled Pork Sliders
Tangy apple butter is paired perfectly with pork in this slow cooker meal fit for a party or tailgate. Made in the slow cooker, Apple Butter Pulled Pork Sliders are made with just a handful of ingredients to create the most amazing barbecue sandwich you’ll ever eat.
Happy Monday! Or is it? 🙂 I have a very busy week ahead, lots of stuff on the schedule that are causing me a bit of stress…but you know what? I’ll take it. Here’s to NOT having a case of the Mondays and forging ahead with the speed of an Olympic sprinter. Who’s with me? And at least I’m not getting on another plane anytime very soon. AND I can finally get the Halloween decorations out of the basement that my son has been begging me to put up since June. So there’s that.
Last week, I went to visit my friend Allie from Baking a Moment. Football season is in full swing now so it seems like most of the husbands are MIA…actually, not missing but just not home…or not mentally at home even if their butt is parked squarely in the center of the sofa for hours on end. In this case, her husband was at a football game and I went over to keep her company. We talked shop for a bit and then discussed her upcoming trips…and then proceeded to stuff our faces with these ridiculous pretzel bites dipped in bourbon cream cheese. I think the kids were screaming in the background but we’ve learned that “mom” skill where you don’t even notice anymore. The shrill ear-piercing squeals of boys under the age of 10…you know what I’m talking about. We didn’t even hear it, it’s like they weren’t even there. 🙂
Since I had been cooking up a storm all day long, I offered to bring these Apple Butter Pulled Pork Sliders for dinner. (Which worked out because the recipe makes a ton and would been a few football teams.) They’re so easy to make in the slow cooker with just a few ingredients: apple cider vinegar, apple cider and apple butter. And pork of course. The tangy barbecue-like sauce is slightly sweet and goes beautifully with the pork. Piled high on a soft slider roll, these are absolutely the best tailgating food and perfect for all of your upcoming holiday parties. And the best part….you can make the pork in advance, freeze it and then thaw in the slow cooker the day of your party or big tailgating bash. To make your festive spread even more perfect, whip up THIS potato salad and some of these jalapeño poppers.
Apple Butter Pulled Pork Sliders
Mini Pulled Pork Sliders topped with apple butter are fall's best game day snack!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 - 6 pound bone in shoulder roast
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups apple butter
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 24 slider rolls
- Heat the olive oil over med-high heat in a large frying pan. Season the pork on all sides with salt and pepper. Place the roast in the pan and sear until a golden brown crust has formed. Turn and repeat on all sides.
- Transfer the pork to the slow cooker. In a small bowl, whisk the apple butter, apple cider and cider vinegar until combined. Pour 1/2 of the sauce over the pork and reserve the remainder. Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 7-8 hours. When the pork is done and can easily be shredded with a fork, transfer to a serving platter. Using two forks, shred the pork. Discard the bone. Skim the fat off the juices in the slow cooker and return the pork to the pot.
- When ready to serve, slice the slider rolls in half. Top the bottom half with 2 heaping tablespoons of pork and drizzle with the remaining sauce. Place the top half of the roll on top of the pork. Serve immediately.