Grilled Jalapeno Poppers with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
Skip the fryer and make these easy Grilled Jalapeño Poppers at home! Stuffed jalapeno halves with charred corn and green onions are grilled then served with a tangy sweet Roasted Red Pepper Sauce that’s simply amazing.
I love spicy food and jalapeno poppers are no exception. My favorite poppers are filled with cream cheese….I’m not a huge fan of the cheddar. But I definitely wouldn’t turn a cheddar filled jalapeno popper away because they’re stuffed with cheese.
Now we all know the usual recipe for a popper calls for some deep frying…and we also know that I don’t shy away from deep-fried things. BUT when I saw Bobby Flay make his Grilled Stuffed Jalapenos on one of his shows on some random Saturday morning, I knew that these were going to be a hit. And they are. Every.single.time.
Every time I make them people want the recipe. They are a bit of work but it is soooo worth it. And if you prep them in advance of a barbecue or party they literally take minutes to cook on the grill.
GRILLED JALAPENO POPPERS
Making stuffed jalapeno poppers on the grill is really simple to do and you can fill the peppers with just about anything you want. For this recipe, we used a blend of cream cheese, goat cheese and white cheddar that’s been mixed with grilled corn kernels and green onions.
Jalapeños are not super spicy as there one of the milder versions of chili peppers I know of. Smaller jalapeños are much spicier than the larger peppers but sometimes you can get a pepper that will take you by surprise so bite cautiously, my friends.
You can control some of the heat level by scooping out ALL of the seeds and white membrane for a milder pepper or leave some of the white membrane in the chili for a fiery heat.
Sometimes I do a little mix of both and keep them on separate platters. Some people don’t want to hang around a party rubbing milk on their lips so they will appreciate the hard work you put into making a milder version for them. Otherwise, serve some milk with the martinis and beer. K?
HOW TO MAKE JALAPENO POPPERS
Making homemade Jalapeno Poppers is super simple to do when you grill them outdoors. If you don’t have a grill, this recipe will work well by baking the jalapeno poppers in the oven.
Here’s how to make them:
Heat the grill to medium.
Mix together the cream cheese, goat cheese and cheddar until smooth.
Fold in the corn, green onions, chili powder, salt and pepper and combine thoroughly.
Fill each jalapeno half with 2 tablespoons of the cheese mixture.
Grill the jalapenos, filling side up, until slightly charred and tender, approximately 5-6 minutes.
Spoon the red pepper sauce onto a platter and top with the jalapenos.
Sprinkle with smoked paprika.
One word of caution….be sure to keep an eye on the jalapeno poppers while they’re cooking. If the jalapeno pepper is on the smaller side it can turn inside out if the heat is too high. This will cause the cheese to spill out and, basically, the jalapeño is no longer a popper.
TIPS FOR THE BEST POPPERS EVER
- Wear gloves when cutting and seeding your jalapeños if you’re sensitive to the oils. I don’t, typically, wear gloves but I have been on the receiving end of jalapeno in the eye and it’s no fun.
- Use a hand mixer to mix the cheese to ensure it’s smooth, creamy and easy to spread inside the jalapeno.
- Larger jalapeno peppers work well for this recipe because you have more area to fill. They also are less likely to bend, fold and spill the filling once they’re cooked.
HOW TO SERVE
We like to serve our grilled Jalapeno Poppers with the Roasted Red Pepper sauce. It’s slightly sweet and tangy, perfect for the creamy filling and spicy heat of the peppers.
MORE EASY JALAPENO RECIPES
If you love these grilled jalapeno poppers, you may also like this eggs Benedict with Jalapeno Hollandaise. It’s a revelation for Sunday Brunch.
Or try this easy Jalapeno Corn Casserole, like corn bread but better. Or try these Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers dressed up for the holidays and these easy Loaded Mashed Potato Poppers. Sounds pretty genius, doesn’t it?
And if you’re left with a pile of jalapeno peppers that never became poppers….try this easy Pickled Jalapeno recipe that’s ready in under an hour.
LOOKING FOR MORE EASY MEAL IDEAS? FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM AND FACEBOOK FOR MORE FAMILY FAVORITE RECIPES!
Adapted from Bobby Flay – Boy Meets Grill
GRILLED JALAPENO POPPERS WITH ROASTED RED PEPPER SAUCE
For the stuffed jalapenos:
- 6 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese
- 4 ounces shredded white cheddar
- 3 ears corn shucked, grilled and kernels removed
- 2 green onions grilled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- kosher salt
- 8 jalapeno chiles halved and seeded
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
For the Roasted Red Pepper Sauce:
- 1 red bell pepper grilled, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 14.5 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- kosher salt
For the Jalapeno Poppers:
- Heat the grill to medium.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cream cheese, goat cheese and cheddar until smooth.
- Add the corn, green onions, salt and pepper and combine thoroughly.
- Fill each jalapeno half with 2 tablespoons of the cheese mixture and sprinkle with some chile powder. (Can be made ahead at this point, covered and refrigerate for up to 6 hours.)
- Grill the jalapenos, filling side up, until slightly charred and tender. Approximately 5-6 minutes.
For the Roasted Red Pepper Sauce:
- Combine the pepper, tomatoes, vinegar, honey and cilantro in a blender and blend until smooth.
- With the motor running, add the oil until blended.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the red pepper sauce onto a platter and top with the jalapenos.
- Serve immediately.