Apple Pie Moonshine
Tis the season for spiced drinks, this Apple Pie Moonshine is just the sip you need to chase away the autumn chill. Perfect for all your cocktails and makes a great hostess gift for the holiday season.
This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and love. Thank you for your support.
Apple Pie Moonshine
Move over Pumpkin Spice Latte, this year I need something a little stronger and this easy Apple Pie Moonshine is just the ticket. Filled with cozy spices, this homemade apple pie liquor will warm you all the way to your toes.
I love that I can make a big batch of it for parties or to give out as gifts and it’s super easy to make, too. Plus, you can customize it with your favorite spices, although, I stick with tradition here using common Apple Pie spices to keep the flavor in check with the season.
What is Moonshine
Moonshine was commonly known as a high proof liquor that was made on the sly and was later sold by bootleggers. The name moonshine originated from the way it was distilled during the night by “Using the moon light.”
This Apple Pie Moonshine recipe is pretty potent so that’s keeping with the theme but we’re not going to sell it…..and you can totally make it at home in your own kitchen.
Bottle it up in some adorable handled jugs and it makes the perfect DIY gift for holiday parties.
Ingredients to Make Moonshine
To make Apple Pie Moonshine, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Apple Cider – I like to use my homemade apple cider but you can use your favorite cider here. The fresher, the better.
- Apple Juice – If you can find a freshly pressed apple juice, that would be fantastic. No worries if you can only find shelf stable apple juice, just try to find one that is not from concentrate for best results.
- Light Brown Sugar – You can use dark brown sugar here for a richer, deeper flavor but reduce by 1/4 cup.
- Whole Spices – I use a combination of cinnamon, cardamom, star anise, cloves, ginger and nutmeg. You can use any variety of seasonally warm spices or a tablespoon of Pumpkin Pie Spice gives it an amazing flavor, too.
- Alcohol – This recipe calls for 190 proof grain alcohol (Everclear) so it’s pretty potent. If you can’t find 190 proof you can always use a lesser proof alcohol or more vodka.
- Vanilla – I use vanilla extract but if you have vanilla bean paste or an actual vanilla bean, that would work exceptionally well. Vanilla extract is much easier to find but has a little less vanilla punch.
How to Make Apple Pie Moonshine
- Simmer all the ingredients except the grain alcohol, vodka and vanilla.
- Strain out the anise, cinnamon, cardamom pods and cloves.
- Stir in the alcohol, vodka and vanilla.
- Strain into sterilized jars or bottles and store until ready to use.
We love storing homemade extracts and alcohol in these fun, glass moonshine bottles! It’s a great way to keep your homemade goods fresh and adorable packaging for gift giving.
How To Store Apple Pie Moonshine
This recipe is suitable for canning and if you take the extra step to can your moonshine, it will last for about a year at room temperature.
I store my Apple Pie Moonshine in the pantry for up to 1 month or in the refrigerator for 2-3 months. You can also freeze it for up to 6 months.
How To Serve Moonshine
Because Apple Pie Moonshine is really potent, it’s best in moderation. So, a shot of moonshine by itself or mixed with club soda with a wedge of apple and a cinnamon stick is a fun way to serve it up.
More Easy Fall Cocktails
If you like this moonshine recipe, you should also try this easy Apple Cider Gin Fizz. It’s lightly spiced and so festive with a sugared rim.
It’s made with an apple cider simple syrup that’s also easy to make.
Looking for something with a bit of pumpkin spice? This Sparkling Pumpkin Punch is right up your alley and great for parties!
Or you can whip up this Apple Cider Sangria in just 2 minutes. Easy peasy!
Get the Recipe: Apple Pie Moonshine Recipe
- 8 cups apple cider
- 8 cups apple juice
- 1 1/2 cups lightly packed light brown sugar
- 8 cinnamon sticks
- 10 cardamom pods
- 6 star anise pods
- 2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace, optional
- 2 cups 190 proof grain alcohol
- 1 cup vodka
- 1 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- stock pot
- Add apple cider, apple juice, sugar, cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods, star anise pods, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg in a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring to combine.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove from the heat, uncover, and allow to room temperature.
- Using a slotted spoon, scoop out and discard the cinnamon, cardamom, star anise, and cloves.
- Stir the grain alcohol, vodka, and vanilla extract into the moonshine.
- Transfer into sterilized glass jars using a funnel and seal tightly.
- Store at room temperature or refrigerate for 1 week before serving.