Apricot Blueberry Thyme Galette
Ditch the pie plate and throw together a beautiful Apricot Blueberry Thyme Galette with zero fuss. Super simple to make, the free-form fruit pie is a great way to end a summer dinner.
Once upon a time, a long, long time ago (like two years) I made a pie. A cherry pie to be exact. The end. No….really….I HATE making pies. I’m terrible at it and sometimes the entire thing ends up in the trash. I always have issues with the filling setting up and the crust being soggy, it’s stressful and disappointing. It takes me several tries before I get it right. So…here’s a tip…if there’s a pie on this blog, you should make it. Really, because the truth of the matter is…that pie was tested multiple times and it was probably the fourth version of it’s kind that actually turned out pretty fab. And that, my friends, is why you don’t see many “pies” here at the soapbox.
Now….a galette…or crostata….stand back. I have many! From savory to sweet, I have one for you and I’m going to cram them all down your throat, literally. A little something for everyone from this berry rhubarb concoction to my very favorite tomato goat cheese crostata, they are all fool-proof and amazingly spectacular. And don’t ask me what the difference is between a crostata and a galette…my guess is one is french and one is not. There…that’s pretty scientific. Don’t ya think?
This Apricot Blueberry Thyme Galette is a little fancy pants because I added some fresh thyme to the filling. Why, you ask? Because the flavor goes surprisingly well with stone fruits like apricot and I have a field of it growing in my garden. 🙂 It’s a bit earthy with a hint of lemon, a great balance to the sweet tart fruit filling.
You could make the Apricot Blueberry Thyme Galette in a flash even making your own crust….but if you could also make it at light speed by using a refrigerated pie crust! (I LOVE Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust, it’s a no fail solution that doesn’t tear or stretch out!) So, there you have it…everyone will thing you’re super swanky with your fancy french pie this summer at all the barbecues. Little do they know, it’s easier than pie!
Apricot Blueberry Thyme Galette
- 1 refrigerated pie crust I love Pillsbury
- 4 apricots peeled and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped thyme
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar or granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Roll the dough out on the baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the apricot and blueberries. Add the sugar, flour, zest and thyme to the fruit and toss to combine thoroughly. Pour the fruit mixture into the center of the dough and fold the sides up over the berries to cover, crimping gently so the dough adheres.
- Whisk the egg in a small bowl. Using a pastry brush, coat the edged of the dough with the egg. Sprinkle the dough generously with the sugar.
- Bake the crostata for 20-25 minutes or until the dough is golden brown and crisp. Allow the crostata to cool to room temperature before serving.
- Cut the crostata into 6 slices and top each slice with whipped cream, if desired. Serve immediately.