Tomato Goat Cheese Crostata // Video
Ripe, juicy tomatoes and creamy, tangy goat cheese top a flaky pastry dough to create a savory crostata. An easy and light summer dinner ready in minutes. Pair with a green salad and this dish is great for entertaining.
Summer tomatoes are here. In all their perfect glory, they are finally here. This is the only time of year I will eat a fresh tomato and I definitely try to get my fill. Tomato sandwiches. Check. Tomato Bisque. Check. Tomato and Goat Cheese Crostata…..checkity check!
I had to do it….because I’m crazy for crostatas lately. They celebrate my lazy pie making skills in a way that make me look like a culinary genius. I’m not….I’m just a person that loves food with every ounce of my being and decided that playing in the kitchen is the best way to spend my time. And sometimes I come up with things like Tomato and Goat Cheese Crostata because I had leftover pie dough….some goat cheese and a plethora of tomatoes. And I was really, really hungry.
This turned out better than I expected. Simple things do that sometimes. It was so easy I expected it to be somewhat devoid of flavor. It was the exact opposite. And my husband LOVED it. He keeps referring to it as pizza…which I guess it kinda is, except it’s on a buttery, flaky pie crust. Which is better than pizza dough. And now that I think of it….all pizza should be made on pie crust. Don’t ya think?
So….long story short. Get some pie dough (I used Pillsbury for this recipe) or make your own. Take some tomatoes because I know everyone has some lying around this time of year. Find some goat cheese….I always have some in the fridge…it’s a staple like butter and milk. Make this crostata, serve it with a salad like this Greek Cucumber Noodle Salad and enjoy the remainder of this gorgeously hot, sweaty summer that I’m loving every single minute of.
Tomato and Goat Cheese Crostata
- 1 ready made pie crust I used Pillsbury
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of kosher salt
- pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 1 red tomato sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 yellow tomato sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 3 ounces goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, roll out the dough into a circle approximately 1/8 inch thick. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic, basil, olive oil, salt and pepper. Spoon half the olive oil mixture into the center of the dough and spread evenly over the surface of the dough leaving a 1 inch border around the edge free of oil. (This will be folded up over the tomatoes and crimped...the oil will not allow the dough to stick together if it's oiled.)
- Arrange the tomatoes in the center of the dough leaving a 1 inch border around the edge. Drop pieces of goat cheese on top of the tomatoes and spoon the remaining oil over the tomatoes.
- Fold the dough up over the tomatoes and crimp the edges. (The center of the tomatoes will not be covered.)
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the dough is golden brown and crispy. Remove from the oven and transfer to a serving platter. Allow to rest for 10-15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.