Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Chicken Gnocchi Soup is comforting, filling, and probably one of my favorite soups EVER! Tender, pillowy gnocchi is served in creamy broth with white meat chicken, a medley of mouthwatering seasonings, baby spinach and more. Oh, and and you can’t forget about the best final touch – a sprinkle of bacon right on top!
Chicken Gnocchi Soup
We’re officially in soup season, friends. That means it’s time to start dusting off our Dutch ovens and stocking up on all of the broths we’re going to need to get through winter! When I need a little comfort in soup form, I have plenty of beloved recipes I can turn to… And this Chicken Gnocchi Soup is certainly one of those comforting classics.
You’ve probably had this soup before, and you probably had it at Olive Garden. Yes, our favorite American-Italian chain restaurant may get a lot of hate for not being authentically Italian, but you can’t deny that their Chicken Gnocchi Soup has had quite the impact on customers of all ages! As much as I’ve enjoyed ordering their soup in the past, I won’t lie when I say this homemade recipe reigns supreme over theirs any day.
So what makes it so good? Let’s start with the base of any soup – the broth! Chicken stock is dressed up with half and half to make it hearty and creamy, but not overly so. Now if you do like a heavier broth, go ahead and use heavy cream. It’s your kitchen, you make the rules! Your creamy broth serves as the host to the perfect amount of pillowy gnocchi, white meat chicken, veggies, and a medley of seasonings and herbs that will have you all but licking the bowl.
How to Make Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Once you enjoy a heaping serving of this protein and veggie packed soup, you’ll be making this comforting classic all the time! To make things even quicker, prep ahead the Mirepoix on the weekend.
- Cook the bacon. Cook the bacon until crisp in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Let the bacon cool and drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Cook the veggies. Cook the onions until it starts to soften, then stir in the celery and carrots, followed by the garlic.
- Add the seasonings and thickener. Stir in all of the seasonings and cornstarch.
- Bring to a boil. Pour in the chicken stock and bring the soup to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat and let it simmer.
- Add the final touches. Stir in the half and half, chicken, and gnocchi. Then, finish it off with spinach, a touch of salt and pepper, and the crumbled bacon.
Why do I need to use cornstarch?
Cornstarch is the not-so-secret ingredient to creating the thickest, creamiest broth. The half and half definitely helps to make it creamy, but the cornstarch is what thickens it just enough to really feel decadent. Make sure you measure it with care! Too much will ruin the consistency of the soup by making it far too thick.
How to Store Chicken Gnocchi Soup
In an airtight container in the fridge, any leftovers you have of this hearty soup will stay fresh for about 3-4 days. The best part? It reheats just fine in the microwave! Just zap it in 30 seconds increments and stir until it’s warmed all the way through.
Do I need to cook the chicken?
I’m all about convenience. When I make Chicken and Gnocchi Soup, I usually just use a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store that’s already cooked and ready to shred! If you’d rather make your own chicken, I highly recommend my VERY BEST Oven Baked Chicken Breast Recipe or the always trusty Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Recipe.
Want to go even more homemade? Use Easy Homemade Chicken Stock instead of store-bought. Your taste buds will thank you.
Enjoy soup season with all of the BEST easy recipes!
- Beef and Barley Soup with Andouille Sausage
- The Best Vegetable Soup
- Egg Drop Soup
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
Get the Recipe: Chicken Gnocchi Soup Recipe
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup minced carrot
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/3 cups half and half or heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 2 1 pound packages gnocchi
- 2 1/2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 stock pot
- Heat a large dutch oven over medium heat and add the bacon to the pan, cooking until crisp.
- Remove the bacon and transfer to a paper towel lined plate to cool.
- Add the onion to the pot and cook for 1-2 minutes or until beginning to soften.
- Stir in the celery and carrot. Cook for 2 minutes longer.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the Italian Seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder and corn starch. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken stock and bring the soup to a boil. Turn the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the half and half, chicken and gnocchi continuing to simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the spinach, salt and pepper to taste, stirring to combine.
- Crumble the bacon and sprinkle on top.
- Serve immediately.