Maple Mustard Roasted Chicken Thighs with Cranberries and Squash
Tangy, sweet, savory…..fall flavors abound in this Maple Mustard Roasted Chicken Thighs with Cranberries and Squash. A one pot dinner that’s ready in a flash and a hit with the entire family. Made from scratch with fresh seasonal ingredients, this one will be on repeat until the final frost.
Roasted Chicken Thighs
I love a one pot classic and a sure thing for dinner. Roasted Chicken Thighs never fail to be a favorite on our family dinner table and this recipe is all dressed up for the season with winter squash.
Chicken Thighs are a fabulous dinner because they crisp up perfectly in a skillet but still stay tender and juicy when roasted. Take it a step further with veggies cooked in the very same pan then make a simple pan sauce that’s ready in minutes with maple and mustard.
This dreamy chicken dinner will be on your weekly menu well into springtime. Or until the cranberries vanish from the grocery store.
How To Make It
I make these chicken thighs with all the fall I have in my house. Fresh delicata squash…which is my absolute favorite because you just cut it, seed it and cook it. The skin is thin enough to eat so there’s no risky peeling required. It’s mildly sweet and buttery, if you haven’t ever tried it….this recipe will change your life. You’ll be a Delicata squash fan for life.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat the skillet over medium high heat and add the oil to the pan.
- Arrange the chicken in the skillet skin side down and cook until crispy.
- Flip the chicken and cook until golden brown and crisp.
- Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan, cooking until softened.
- Add the squash and cranberries, continue to cook until the squash starts to softened.
- Whisk together the chicken stock, apple cider, maple syrup, mustard and cornstarch.
- Stir the stock mixture into the pan and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat off and return the chicken to the pan.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and roast for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve immediately.
What To Serve Chicken Thighs With
You can serve this chicken with just the veggies in the pan or try these reader favorites!
- Bourbon Roasted Pear Salad with Gorgonzola and Candied Walnuts
- Best Buttered Noodles
- How to Make Cauliflower Rice Three Ways
- The Best Mashed Potatoes
More Easy Chicken Thigh Recipes
- Honey Chipotle BBQ Grilled Chicken Thighs
- Basil Pesto Grilled Chicken Thighs
- Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs with Garlic Herb Sauce
- Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs
Get the Recipe: Maple Mustard Chicken Skillet with Cranberries and Delicata Squash
- 6 bone in chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 delicata squash, seeded and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Place the chicken in the skillet skin side down and cook until golden brown, approximately 4-5 minutes. Turn the chicken over and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- Drain all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the pan and return to the the heat. Add the onions to the pan and cook until softened, approximately 3-4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the squash and cranberries to the pan. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes or until the squash begins to soften. Stir in the sage and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the chicken stock, apple cider, maple syrup, mustard and cornstarch until combined and the cornstarch is dissolved.
- Stir the chicken stock mixture into the skillet and bring to a boil. Turn the heat off and return the chicken to the skillet.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and cook for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve the chicken immediately with the sauce and vegetables over rice, if desired.