Maple Mustard Chicken Skillet with Cranberries and Squash
Tangy, sweet, savory…..fall flavors abound in this Maple Mustard Chicken Skillet with Cranberries and Squash. A one pot dinner that’s ready in a flash and a hit with the entire family. Made from scratch with fresh seasonal ingredients, this one will be on repeat until the final frost.
Hey….so, jet lag is a real thing. I just got back from the West Coast and….wow….is it spectacular in Oregon. I may have talked about it in my previous post but I can’t get over how stunning the landscape is and how “free” the people there are. The leaves were gorgeous, the chill in the air was crisp….and perfect…..the mountains in the background of every corner I turned were breathtaking. And I don’t usually say things like…..breathtaking but when I rounded a block while stuffing a giant cream puff into my mouth I gasped so loudly when I caught a glimpse of the mountains that I ended up with most of the chocolate all over my shirt. And white coat. And I looked quite lovely…..one might even say “free.”
But…..that was last week and the stains are being cleaned as I write this. They’ll soon be forgotten but fall in Oregon will, forever, be etched in my memory. Like this Maple Mustard Chicken Skillet with Cranberries and Squash….didn’t you just love my segue? I made this dinner with all the fall I had in my house. Fresh delicata squash…which is my absolute favorite because you just cut it, seed it and cook it. The skin is thin enough to eat so there’s no risky peeling required. It’s mildly sweet and buttery, if you haven’t ever tried it….this recipe will change your life. You’ll be a Delicata squash fan for life.
Like most recipes I make….I try to keep dish washing to a minimum. This Maple Mustard Chicken Skillet recipe is the one pot dinner your family will ask for again and again. It was a huge hit with the hubs but I think he was really digging the simple pan sauce that’s made in minutes with just a bit of chicken stock, maple syrup and dijon mustard. I threw in fresh cranberries to add a bit of tartness that offsets the sweetness…..because balance is necessary in every aspect of life. This easy dinner is fantastic with a fall salad tossed in an easy dressing. You can have dinner on the table in less than an hour. Weeknight dinner perfection.
Maple Mustard Chicken Skillet with Cranberries and Delicata Squash
- 6 bone in chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 delicata squash, seeded and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Place the chicken in the skillet skin side down and cook until golden brown, approximately 4-5 minutes. Turn the chicken over and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- Drain all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the pan and return to the the heat. Add the onions to the pan and cook until softened, approximately 3-4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the squash and cranberries to the pan. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes or until the squash begins to soften. Stir in the sage and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the chicken stock, apple cider, maple syrup, mustard and cornstarch until combined and the cornstarch is dissolved.
- Stir the chicken stock mixture into the skillet and bring to a boil. Turn the heat off and return the chicken to the skillet.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and cook for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve the chicken immediately with the sauce and vegetables over rice, if desired.
Best if served the same day.