The Very Best Vegetable Soup Recipe
Hearty and filling, the Very Best Vegetable Soup recipe will warm you from head to toe. Packed with your favorite vegetables and simmered in a flavorful broth, this vegetable soup makes a great meatless meal and is ready in just 30 minutes.
Ok, so I’m kind of a vegetable hater. There, I said it. To be more accurate, I’m a vegetable snob…I don’t like a lot of cooked vegetables because they become mushy and take on a weird texture. And don’t even get me started on tomatoes. I like a good salad because everything is crisp and fresh but if I had my choice, I’d rather have a burger. So, in my quest to eat more vegetables and to get my husband to stop asking me to make vegetable soup…..I made the Very Best Vegetable Soup. I’m not even kidding when I say it’s the best….I know I make that claim a lot but this is the best ever. And it wasn’t an accident at all.
I’ve eaten a lot of Vegetable Soup in my life….mostly from a can so you can probably understand why I’m such a hater. And if it’s sitting next to a bowl of Broccoli Cheddar Soup…guess what I’m going for. Yeah, that’s right. Until now….this Vegetable Soup is savory, slightly sweet, tangy, tart….it’s everything I love in a soup and it’s definitely not lacking in the flavor department. The vegetables do get a little softer than I love but it is soup….and they sop up the stock like a sponge so they take on the most amazing flavor ever.
The Very Best Vegetable Soup recipe is super easy to make….especially if you have some of this Beef Stock on hand. If not, store bought stock will do in a pinch but if you have the time…make the Beef Stock because it will make your soup the best thing you’ve ever dug your spoon into. I chopped up a bunch of vegetables I had on hand and sautéed them a bit until tender. You can use any of your favorite vegetables…if you don’t like squash…leave it out, if you like mushrooms…try them out. It’s your soup so make it what you love. But I did add a few things you don’t want to leave out to get maximum flavor and you’re not going to believe it when I tell you what they are.
I like to use Fire Roasted diced tomatoes…we’ve talked about this before and I just love the extra POW they give to my recipes. To give the Very Best Vegetable Soup recipe more depth of flavor I added some soy sauce…yep, just sprinkle that in there. AND fish sauce…don’t be scared…it’s like Worcestershire sauce, kinda…sorta. Don’t skip it and go light, it has a tremendously powerful flavor so a little goes a long way. You know that work Umami people throw around…well, this is it. This is your Umami….and it needs to go in everything, basically, like I did with these meatballs. And the sauce. Now….go….go get crazy with your Vegetable Soup. It’s getting chilly, after all.
Looking for even more easy soup recipes? Try these family favorites:
- Classic French Onion Soup is the ultimate comfort food.
- This Creamy Tuscan Chicken Tortellini Soup is so easy and hearty!
- Best EVER Creamy Chicken Soup with Artichokes and Mushrooms is so, soo good!
Want even more family favorite recipes? Follow us over on Instagram!
The Very Best Vegetable Soup Recipe
Winter's best soup recipe, this is the BEST Vegetable Soup packed with seasonal veggies and amped up with savory flavor.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup chopped green beans
- 1 cup diced delicata squash or other squash
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoons fresh chopped thyme
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot over medium high heat.
- Add the onion, carrot and celery to the pot. Cook until softened, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 additional minute.
- Add the corn, green beans and squash. Stir to combine and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, thyme, parsley and stock. Bring the mixture to a boil and then turn the heat down to low.
- Add the onion powder, garlic powder, soy sauce and fish sauce. Stir to combine.
- Simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve immediately.
Can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months.