Chocolate Banana Pudding
Classic Banana Pudding is given a chocolatey twist in this easy dessert recipe. Sweet, light Chocolate Banana Pudding is just like the Southern favorite but made with chocolate wafer cookies and a pudding that’s blended with rich, chocolate flavor. Soon to be a staple at any occasion.
I hope everyone had a great Easter weekend…whether you celebrate Easter or not, it was still the weekend. And a beautiful one here in the Philadelphia area. Sunny skies and warm breezes…it’s enough to make you really angry when you see 34 degrees pop up in the extended forecast. That’s just Mother Nature being a big meanie head. I’ve already planned to stay in all day and cook some fun things to share. Like this Chocolate Banana Pudding….it will be happening on a regular basis from now on.
I’m not a big banana flavored anything fan. I love bananas, they’re the BEST grab and go healthy treat. But once you make something that is supposed to TASTE like banana without actually having banana in it…I was always a little suspicious. It may have something to do with a cocktail or shot that tasted like banana going in and out….but we will leave that story for another time. Let’s get back to the pudding. I first decided to dive into a bowl of classic Banana Pudding at New York’s famous Magnolia Bakery. I was still a little skeptical but it was Magnolia Bakery. Nothing in Magnolia Bakery tastes like poo so I thought if I were to like ANY Banana Pudding…it would be theirs. So, I dug in….and dug in….and kept digging until there was nothing left but a small smear of crumbs at the bottom of the bowl. My husband was less than thrilled….he like banana everything.
So, recently…I saw that they now have a CHOCOLATE Banana Pudding and being the self-proclaimed chocoholic that I am…I just knew I had to make something similar. I ran to the store and gathered everything I thought I’d need, whipped up a batch of my own Chocolate Banana Pudding. I didn’t do much research on their chocolate version but I figured it would have the famous Chocolate Wafer cookies and some kind of chocolate blended into the famous banana pudding mixture. It worked just fabulously and was a huge hit at our Easter brunch yesterday. I’m not even kidding….I had made a chocolate version of this crepe cake and it sat next to the pudding looking all sad with just one slice removed (my slice…it was fabulous, people!).
I’m guessing I have a knack for making pudding because my most popular dessert recipes on this site are my Very Best Vanilla Pudding (it is the very BEST), the Very Best Chocolate Pudding (again….the BEST) and this Chia Seed Pudding (the MOST POPULAR RECIPE EVER!) Go figure…you will definitely see more pudding in the weeks to come. 🙂 So easy and so amazingly comforting and so face-plantingly wonderful!
Chocolate Banana Pudding
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Ghirardelli
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 (12-ounce) package chocolate wafer cookies
- 3 bananas, sliced
- In a large bowl, whisk together the water, pudding mix, sweetened condensed milk and cocoa powder until smooth and thick. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours until set.
- In a medium bowl, beat the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Working in thirds, fold the whipped cream into the pudding mixture until combined.
- Place one layer of wafer cookies in the bottom of a trifle bowl and then top with a layer of bananas. Spread a layer of pudding on top of the banana and then repeat until all the ingredients have been used (or your bowl is filled to the top.) finishing with a layer of pudding. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight. Sprinkle with crumbled chocolate wafers and garnish with banana before serving, if desired.