Strawberry Cream Crepe Cake
Light, delicate crepes are layered with a simply strawberry-mascarpone cream to create the easiest and most perfect spring cake. This Strawberry Cream Crepe Cake will be a favorite for the warmer months ahead. And no baking required.
Have you ever been to New York City in the spring? Sadly, I have not. I usually go in the fall or winter…when all the leaves have left their branches and were swept up to leave the city entirely. I see movies that are set in NY during the spring and every year I say I’m going to get up there. I never do. There’s something magical about NY in the winter when all the crowds have died down from the holiday rush but I
think know there’s something equally magical about NY in the spring. And I dream of having a picnic lunch in Central Park right in a certain spot that I know and love so well….complete with a gigantic, obnoxiously huge slice of crepe cake. I know…I’m a tourist but don’t burst my magical bubble. Okay?
Every single time I wander off to NYC, I always come home with a crepe cake from Lady M‘s. If you’ve never had a crepe cake, you’re truly missing out. They’re just stunning to look at…layer upon layer of soft crepes sandwiching a light, airy pastry cream. They’re so perfect for any occasion but I wanted to make one especially for Easter….one that’s the color of spring and bursting with strawberries. This Strawberry Cream Crepe Cake is exactly that. Stunningly beautiful in every way (at least I think so). Completely addictive after just one little bite. (Don’t say I didn’t warn you.)
If you can make a crepe (and I know you can because I told you how to make crepes in the blender last week), you can make this cake. There’s absolutely no baking required, the cream comes together in just minutes and you can make the components in advance. Heck, you can even make the cake in advance. To get a little fancy, I brulee’d the top of the cake to add a sweet little crunch, if there ever was a time to buy a kitchen torch…this is it. And trust me, once you use that thing….you will become a regular pyromaniac. It will not collect dust. If you don’t want to spend the money, you can simply spread whipped cream on top and skip the crunch factor. It will be just as lovely without it.
So, this year…serve your very first (or 10th…this was MY first) Strawberry Cream Crepe Cake along with your usual Easter ham, green beans or your favorite brunch casseroles. Toast the day with a slice of crepe cake and a Strawberry Champagne Mojito.…enjoy that fact that winter has officially been kicked to the curb.
Strawberry Cream Crepe Cake
Light and sweet Strawberry Cream Crepe Cake is a cinch to make and no bake!
- 24 sweet crepes
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- Blend the cheese and strawberries together in a blender or food processor until smooth. Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Using a hand mixer, add the heavy cream and confectioners' sugar. Beat the mixture until light and fluffy.
- Assemble the cake by placing one crepe on a flat surface such as a platter or cake stand. Spread 1 heaping tablespoon of cream in a thin layer over the crepe. Top the cream with another crepe being sure there are no wrinkles and the crepe lays flat. Repeat with the remaining cream and crepes. Lightly cover with plastic wrap and transfer to the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove the plastic wrap and sprinkle the top of the cake with the turbinado sugar. Using a kitchen torch, melt the sugar to create the crispy top. Decorate with whipped cream and strawberries.