Chocolate Covered Banana Peanut Butter Bites
Little bites of happiness! These Chocolate Covered Banana Peanut Butter Bites are the perfect healthy snack to help curb those crazy sugar cravings. Like a mini banana peanut butter sandwich drenched in chocolate and sprinkled with your favorite topping, this easy treat is perfect for every occasion!
We used to visit a small drive-in diner when I was little for dinner on occasion, but the funny thing was that even though it was a drive-in….and it was called Hilltop Drive-in….it wasn’t really a drive-in restaurant. We always parked the car and went inside. There were places for cars to pull up and order so you could eat in the car but there were never any cars there….and everyone went inside or ate out at the park benches. I was DYING to eat in the car when I was little….I always begged my mom to park at the drive-thru but my hopes and dreams where shattered because she’d always park the car in front then make me get out. Hmmmph. AND THEN….this place served the most amazing ice cream sundaes. Like mile high sundaes that there was no chance I’d ever be able to finish one. But the begging continued as I’d whine and cry when she’d hand me a chocolate covered frozen banana. This place had the best Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas……either dipped in peanuts or plain, they were always a surprising treat. But still….to this day…..I want to eat a giant ice cream sundae in the car at a drive-thru….so long as it’s not my own car. Because….messes. 🙂
So, thanks to my mom….I do crave those chocolate covered bananas but sometimes they were a little too big to finish so I’d end up tossing half in the trash. I’ve made my own but thought maybe I could make them more fun. Make them a little healthier….and make them a somewhat suitable pre or post workout snack. Something to curb those sugar cravings I tend to get right after the holidays when I so valiantly tossed the last of the holiday cookies in the trash. These Chocolate Covered Banana Peanut Butter Bites are just the sweet treat you need to stay on track.
I showed how to make these on my Instagram stories yesterday. Just two thin slices of banana with a smear of peanut butter sandwiched inside then dipped in rich, dark chocolate. I topped my Chocolate Covered Banana Peanut Butter Bites with chopped peanuts, sea salt flakes and sprinkles….because sprinkles make any food way more fun. Except maybe pot roast….or lobster.
Chocolate Covered Banana Peanut Butter Bites need to chill for a bit so the chocolate can set but then you can pop ’em all day long. To keep them around a little longer….store them in the freezer! They’re even better when frozen and a great last minute treat…..very much like those Chocolate Covered Bananas that were not a sky-high ice cream sundae at the drive-thru diner that wasn’t really a drive-thru. And if you’re looking for a few more healthy you NEED to try these Breakfast Smoothie Popsicles or my first viral recipe ever…..Banana Peanut Butter Chia Seed Pudding!
- 3 bananas peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup chocolate chopped or I use the chocolate melting wafers from Ghirardelli
- sea salt flakes chopped peanuts, sprinkles, optional
- Arrange the banana slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment.
- Spread a thin layer of peanut butter on half the slices and then top with the remaining banana slices.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the refrigerator.
- Place the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and melt in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between each, until smooth.
- Remove the baking sheet from the refrigerator and dip a banana "sandwich" into the chocolate until completely coated and place on the baking sheet. Repeat until all bananas are coated.
- Decorate with sea salt, peanuts or sprinkles, if desired.
- Return the baking sheet to the refrigerator to set. OR for long term storage, transfer the baking sheet to the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Move the banana bites to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month. (They won't last that long, trust me.)
If you're not eating all the banana bites the same day, be sure to freeze them so the bananas do not break down inside the chocolate. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 1 month.