Frozen Chocolate Covered Bananas
Healthy little bites of happiness! These Chocolate Covered Banana Bites are a tasty solution to any sugar craving. Banana slices are sandwiched with peanut butter and then drenched in chocolate. These treats are sweet, satisfying, and guilt-free.
Frozen Chocolate Covered Bananas
Have you ever tried those full-size frozen bananas dipped in chocolate? You know, the ones that are sometimes dipped in peanuts? As delicious as they are, sometimes they can be too much to eat in one sitting. So I decided to take this childhood favorite and make it bite-sized and a little healthier.
Chocolate Covered Banana Peanut Butter Bites are the perfect pre or post-workout snack. Peanut butter adds extra protein, while banana provides most of the sweetness. Think of them as a healthy stand-in to help keep you on track when sugar cravings strike.
These banana bites are simple sandwiches made of two banana slices with a smear of peanut butter inside. Then they’re dipped in rich dark chocolate and topped with your favorite toppings. You can use chopped peanuts, sea salt, sprinkles, or all three.
These healthy treats are even better when they’re frozen. This makes them an ideal make-ahead snack that you can keep a stash of in the freezer. If you’re looking for a few more healthy recipes, you need to try my triple-berry Breakfast Smoothie Popsicles! Or check out my first viral recipe ever: Banana Peanut Butter Chia Seed Pudding.
How to Make It
- Lay out the bananas. Arrange the banana slices on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Add peanut butter, then stack. Spread a thin layer of peanut butter on half of the slices. Then top them with the remaining banana slices.
- Chill. Place the baking sheet in the refrigerator.
- Melt the chocolate. Melt the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl for 30 seconds at a time. Stir between each 30-second interval until smooth.
- Dip the sandwiches. Remove the baking sheet from the fridge. Dip the banana sandwiches one by one into the chocolate. Completely coat each one before placing it on the baking sheet.
- Decorate as you like. Decorate the banana bites with sea salt, crushed peanuts, or sprinkles if desired.
- Chill or freeze. Return the baking sheet to the fridge to set the chocolate. Or, for long-term storage, place the baking sheet in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Package and store. Once the banana bites are set, transfer them to an airtight container. Store them in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Tips & Tricks
- Freeze them for the next day. If you’re not eating the banana bites the day they’re made, be sure to freeze them. This prevents the bananas from breaking down inside the chocolate. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- Add some variety. Keep things interesting by sprinkling each banana bite with a different topping, as I did in the photos. This makes them more visually appealing, and it’s fun to choose which one you’re in the mood for.
- Try a different spread. If you can’t eat peanuts, try sunflower butter inside these sandwiches. Or, you can use almond butter or Nutella instead.
Get yourself pumped for a workout with more high-protein healthy snacks!
- Spicy Cinnamon Maple Almonds are scrumptious by themselves, chopped up in oatmeal, or as part of a cheese plate.
- Easy Candied Walnuts are roasted with a little brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla for maximum deliciousness.
- Instant Pot Hard-Boiled Eggs cook up perfectly and ridiculously fast every time.
- The Best Egg Salad has scallions and celery for a bold, fresh flavor. It makes excellent sandwiches or a cracker dip.
For more easy, healthy recipes, follow us on Instagram and Facebook!
Get the Recipe: Frozen Chocolate Covered Bananas Recipe
- 3 bananas, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup chocolate, chopped or I use the chocolate melting wafers from Ghirardelli
- sea salt flakes, chopped peanuts, sprinkles, optional
- 1 freezer
- Arrange the banana slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment.
- Spread a thin layer of peanut butter on half the slices and then top with the remaining banana slices.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the refrigerator.
- Place the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and melt in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between each, until smooth.
- Remove the baking sheet from the refrigerator and dip a banana “sandwich” into the chocolate until completely coated and place on the baking sheet. Repeat until all bananas are coated.
- Decorate with sea salt, peanuts or sprinkles, if desired.
- Return the baking sheet to the refrigerator to set. OR for long term storage, transfer the baking sheet to the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Move the banana bites to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month. (They won’t last that long, trust me.)
2 Comments on “Frozen Chocolate Covered Bananas”
How CLEVER are you! These look perfectly delightful and delicious – love the double-stacks, and peanut butter and banana is basically my favorite thing ever so I am all about these!
Thank you! I love these little bites. 🙂