The Best Egg Salad
Light and creamy, this is the very Best Egg Salad recipe ever. Eggs, mayonnaise, mustard, scallions and celery are blended together to create a flavorful egg salad that’s perfect for lunch, brunch or a light dinner. Top a cracker for a healthy afternoon snack.
Most people think casseroles and grandma’s pot roast when they hear comfort food but for me….it’s a trusty egg salad. It’s simple, creamy and always flavorful. It’s one of those foods that can take me back to a school field trip or the cafeteria in an instant.
Egg Salad Sandwiches were a staple in my lunchbox and for good reason, as I know now….egg salad is inexpensive to make and you, almost, ALWAYS have all the ingredients you need to make it on the fly.
It’s light and filling (isn’t that contradictory), creamy and satisfying, quick and easy to make. And you can make a big batch to dig into all week long. Not to mention it’s the BEST way to use up those leftover Easter Eggs you always have on hand after the holiday is over.
What is Egg Salad?
Now, I know this is a pretty bold statement to put out into the world….BUT I am VERY confident to say that this is the BEST Egg Salad recipe ever.
I’ve been playing around with it for years and what I found is you only need a few simple ingredients in perfect proportion to make this salad great. Good mayonnaise, ground mustard, fresh scallions, crisp celery, fresh hardboiled eggs….you get the picture.
And, while I’m still baffled at the inconsistency of peeling hard boiled eggs….I have found the ONE THING that makes them peel perfectly every time. Finally. It only took like 30 years of my life.
How To Make The Best Egg Salad
This classic egg salad recipe is pretty much no fuss. You, most likely, have everything you need to make it in your kitchen, right now.
- If you don’t already have hard boiled eggs on hand, it takes no time at all to boil them. I like to use my trusty Instant Pot to get the job done!
- Once you’ve peeled your hard boiled eggs, chop them up pretty finely. I like little minced piece of egg white but some people like their egg salad to be a bit chunkier. You can do you, here. There are no hard and fast rules as to how you chop your egg.
- Transfer your chopped egg to a mixing bowl and add the mayonnaise, mustard, scallions, celery, salt and pepper. Mix to combine well being sure to break up the yolk so it blends in with the mayonnaise.
- If you’re making egg salad sandwiches, layer a lettuce leaf or two on a slice of bread or the bottom half of a roll. Top with a healthy serving of egg salad and top with another lettuce leaf then the remaining bread or top of the roll.
- The lettuce leaf will keep your egg salad sandwich from getting soggy if you’re packing in a lunchbox for later.
My easy egg salad recipe is fantastic to snack on….so we’ve been adding it to our weekly meal prep so it’s on hand at all times.
We include links to products we use to create this recipe. We may be compensated for purchases made using these links. Thank you for supporting our site.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, this Microwave Egg Cooker is amazing. I’ve been using it for over 10 years and it makes perfect eggs every time. Easy to peel, too!
What To Eat With Egg Salad
Other than making the BEST Egg Salad Sandwich ever, this egg salad is super versatile and so tasty all on it’s own I eat it right out of the bowl with a spoon.
- Stuff an avocado half with a heaping spoonful of egg salad.
- Top a cracker for an easy appetizer or go low carb with a cucumber slice!
- Add it to an ordinary salad to make it extraordinary.
- Wrap it in a lettuce leaf for a low carb sandwich wrap.
How Long Does It Last
Believe it or not, you’ll devour every last bite of this easy egg salad recipe before it goes bad. But if you do want to make a double batch to nosh on during the week, your egg salad recipe will last, refrigerated, in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
I love to have a stash of my best egg salad at the beginning of the week for quick meals whether it be breakfast, lunch or a light afternoon snack. It’s one of my favorite egg recipes to make, right up there with my freezer breakfast sandwiches or THESE Denver Omelet Egg Muffins.…always ready when you are.
More Easy Salad Recipes
- The Very Best Tuna Salad Recipe // Video
- The Very Best Ham Salad Recipe
- Lemon Tarragon Chicken Salad Sandwiches // Video
- Chicken Waldorf Salad Recipe
Don’t miss out on MORE family friendly recipes!! Follow us on Instagram!
Get the Recipe: The Best Egg Salad Recipe
- 7 hard boiled eggs, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl, stir together the eggs, mayonnaise, ground mustard, scallions, celery, salt and pepper until thoroughly combined.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.