Citrus Strawberry Spinach Salad with Bacon Vinaigrette
A classic salad with a twist—this Citrus Strawberry Spinach Salad recipe is sprinkled with chopped pistachios and drizzled with a warm bacon vinaigrette brightened up with a bit of citrus. Light and refreshing, this salad is the perfect way to welcome spring.
When the weather gets warmer, we start to entertain a bit more. I love to use fresh ingredients to create dishes that are bright and inviting. I create a lot of recipes that integrate ingredients from winter and spring….like oranges and strawberries, which would otherwise stand alone in a dish of their own.
Juicy navel oranges are the perfect companion to sweet strawberries in this modernized version of the classic spinach salad. The tart citrus goes so well with fresh summer berries and it’s kind of like nature’s handshake as we transition into a new season of produce.
This Strawberry Spinach Salad with Citrus Bacon Vinaigrette is a wonderful addition to any menu. Great as a light lunch or dinner, as well as, a stunning centerpiece to any brunch spread. It’s super easy to make and can be assembled in advance.
THE PERFECT SUMMER LUNCH
I love a great spinach salad but this one is over the top amazing with fresh, vibrant flavor. Not lacking in the fruit department, the salty bacon and butter pistachios are a great contrast to the sweet and tangy citrus/berry combination we have going on.
Staying true to the classic spinach salad, I like to add sliced mushrooms for another layer of texture and earthy undertones.
The most common topping for a spinach salad is Hot Bacon Dressing. For this strawberry spinach salad, I added a citrus twist with a splash of fresh orange juice. It’s simply amazing in every sense of the word and you can make it in minutes.
Simply add all the vinaigrette ingredients to a jar with a lid and shake until it’s emulsified (slightly thickened and creamy). So, so simple and it pairs wonderfully with so many things like this easy Wedge Salad recipe we make like 50 times a week.
You can even just make this simple Hot Bacon Dressing if you prefer….it’s just as amazing on this salad.
I know you’ll love this salad after one bite, it’s like a big, fresh party in your mouth. It’s great for a crowd…just like this salad with juicy pears and my favorite main course salad. And I must confess…I’m not a big salad person but I ate this entire thing myself. The whole bowl….which, comfortably, serves 6-8 people. BEST SALAD EVER!
MORE EASY SALAD RECIPES
- Strawberry Mango Chicken Salad….a Wendy’s copycat!
- Winter Citrus Salad….as simple as it sounds.
- Easy Broccoli Salad with Bacon….because bacon.
Citrus Spinach Salad with Citrus Bacon Dressing
- 8 cups fresh baby spinach rinsed and dried
- 2 Navel Oranges peeled, segmented and membrane juiced
- 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 cup sliced white mushrooms
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup rough chopped shelled pistachios
- 1/4 cup bacon fat
- 1/4 cup Orange juice
- 1/2 cup champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- In a large skillet, fry the bacon until crisp
- When cooked, transfer to a paper towel lined plate to cool
- Pour the bacon fat into a small saucepan and set aside
- In a large serving bowl, add the spinach, orange segments, strawberries, mushrooms and onion
- Toss to combine all ingredients
For the dressing
- Heat the bacon fat over low heat and whisk in the HoneyBell juice, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper until well combined
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine
- Crumble the bacon over the salad and sprinkle with the pistachios and serve immediately