Easy Hot Bacon Dressing Recipe
No spinach salad is complete without an easy Hot Bacon Dressing recipe to top it off. This simple Bacon Vinaigrette is quick to whip up and a great way to use up those leftover bacon drippings from your morning breakfast.
We’re big bacon fans here and, lucky for us, I always keep a good stash of bacon in the freezer at all times. Aside from the usual bacon on Saturday mornings, we love to use it to elevate the flavors of our favorite recipes like a weekday meatloaf.
Since I’m not the biggest fan of salads, I love to add bacon to my greens anyway I can and that includes dousing them in this easy Hot Bacon Dressing. It’s tangy, sweet and rich with bacon flavor….and it’s ready in minutes.
My first encounter with Hot Bacon Vinaigrette was in the south on a simple spinach salad. The flavor is out of this world when drizzled over a pile of greens but it’s a classic on spinach salad with chopped egg and sliced mushrooms. It’s the perfect homemade salad dressing to put on ALL THE THINGS.
HOT BACON DRESSING
A southern classic vinaigrette, Hot Bacon Dressing is made of warm bacon drippings, a sweetener like sugar or honey, minced shallots, a hit of vinegar and simple seasonings like salt and pepper.
You just whisk everything together until thick and creamy then use it to top your favorite greens like spinach, kale, green beans or even Brussels sprouts!
How To Serve It
We love to serve our warm bacon dressing over this bright and fruity spinach salad but it’s also a great substitute for melted butter on these crisp green beans or stir it into some grilled potatoes for an extra pop of flavor.
TIPS FOR MAKING HOT BACON DRESSING
- While this is a great way to use up leftover bacon fat which I store in the fridge to make things like popcorn or scrambled eggs, it’s best if you make your bacon fresh in the same skillet you’ll whisk up your vinaigrette.
- To make the bacon dressing in advance, remove the bacon from the skillet and finish making the dressing in the pan. Allow to cool to room temperature and transfer to an airtight container. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days. Store the bacon in a separate container and warm for 10 seconds on a paper towel lined plate until crisp.
- To reheat your bacon dressing, microwave for 20 second increments at high power stirring until smooth and warmed through. Alternatively, you can warm the dressing in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Substitute the honey in the dressing for brown sugar, granulated sugar or your favorite low calorie sweetener.
- Switch up the vinegar called for in the bacon dressing with champagne vinegar, red wine vinegar or even balsamic vinegar for a bolder flavor.
More Easy Salad Dressing Recipes
If you like this easy dressing recipe, you may also love this easy Apple Cider Vinaigrette….it’s on repeat almost daily here because it’s a cinch to make. We also love this easy Blue Cheese Dressing and this super simple Thousand Island Dressing.
Get the Recipe: Easy Hot Bacon Dressing Recipe
- 8 pieces thick-sliced bacon, chopped
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large skillet, fry the bacon over medium heat until crispy.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel to drain and reserve 1/4 cup of the rendered fat.
- Crumble the bacon and set aside.
- Whisk the vinegar, honey and Dijon mustard into the bacon fat until slightly thickened and creamy. Remove from the heat.
- Season with a small pinch each of kosher salt and black pepper.