Crab Rangoon Dip with Five Spice Chips
Just as tasty as the popular Chinese dumplings but much easier to make! Crab Rangoon Dip is the rich filling baked in a dish until hot and bubbling, then served with crisp, light potsticker chips lightly dusted with spice.
Chinese food is one my favorite things on the planet. The noodles, the rice, the dumplings…everything is savory and mouthwatering. And when you drop one of those little pouches of heaven in a deep fryer (wontons, potstickers, I’m talking about you) it transforms them into a wickedly, mind-blowing mouth full of explosive flavors like these Pad Thai Potstickers!!! LOVE THEM!
But they’re a real pain in the butt to make. Time consuming and boring….I get antsy while crimping the edges of the dough, over and over and over again. Don’t get me wrong, it’s always well worth the back ache the next day but who has time for that this time of year.
I mean seriously….we have cookies to bake and trees to trim and turkeys to truss. There’s no time for pinching and twisting and patching these little purses of goodness. So, we go the way of the dip. The EASY Crab Rangoon Dip. There’s no shame here.
Crab Rangoon Dip and the Five Spice Chips…it sounds like a band. But it’s dip and chips…a super easy to make dip and chips. The chips are the perfect addition to the dip, you can certainly skip them and buy your favorite chip to scoop the creamy, cheesy, crabby concoction and shovel it into your mouth…but the five spice powder really adds a great contrast to the rich cream cheese base.
What is Crab Rangoon?
Crab Rangoon, aka crab puffs, are wontons filled with a cream cheese crab mixture….like a crab dip in a perfect little package….deep fried and commonly served at American Chinese restaurants.
How do you make Crab Rangoon Dip?
Crab Rangoon Dip is so incredibly easy to make….just mix together all the ingredients in a bowl….bake…..and serve. It’s hot and bubbly and pairs perfectly with the Five Spice Chips!
If you’re going to a holiday party this year, this is the dip to bring…or if you’re sitting on the couch watching a Game of Thrones marathon this is the perfect friend to join you. Either way, you’re going to love it.
And if you’re really into crab dip but don’t really want the whole Crab Rangoon Dip thing at the moment…..this AMAZING Hot Crab Dip recipe is the BEST THING EVER. Don’t believe me….read the comments. And watch the video. So, soooo good.
If you’re not feeling a baked crab dip at the moment, this easy Cold Crab Dip is crazy delish, too.
So is this easy Artichoke Asiago Dip recipe….seriously, I could make a meal out of all these dips they’re so fabulous. If you want to see what other fun morsels I’m making lately be sure to follow us over on Instagram!
Crab Rangoon Dip with Five Spice Chips
One of the BEST dips ever....this Crab Rangoon Dip is a people pleaser at every party.
- 1 12 ounce package potstickers cut into quarters
- canola oil for deep frying
- 2 tablespoons Five Spice Powder I used McCormick
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 4 ounces sour cream
- 3 scallions sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 8 ounces back fin or super lump crab meat picked over for shells
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cream cheese, sour cream, scallions, soy sauce, sesame oil, fish sauce, garlic, salt and pepper until thoroughly combined. Gently fold in the crab and transfer the mixture to a baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until bubbling and golden on top.
- While the dip is baking: In a large, heavy bottomed pot, add the oil until 1 inch deep. Heat the oil over medium heat until 375 degrees. Add the chips to the oil, four at a time, and cook for 30 seconds, flip and cook for an additional 30 seconds or until golden brown. Remove the chips to a wire rack and dust lightly with the five spice powder. Repeat procedure until all the chips are fried.
- Serve the dip and the chips immediately.