The Very Best Hot Crab Dip // Video
Creamy, cheesy and perfect for parties, this is the BEST Hot Crab Dip recipe around. So easy to make with just a few simple ingredients, a hint of heat and big meaty chunks of crab. Your cracker may just not be enough, you’ll need a shovel for this one.
My mom used to have a lot of parties when I was little….at least that’s what I remember. Tupperware, Home Interiors, Princess House…..AVON. Who remembers Avon? And those little lipstick samples.
Those tiny little tubes of glamorous heaven, at least to me. I loved to steal the samples and stash them away in my room, then try everything on and attempt to sneak out of the house looking as if I was getting ready to go clubbing. But I was going to school. Elementary school.
Not quite the right environment for DIY makeup experiments when you’re 10 years old. But other than the Avon samples, I always loved the little appetizers my mom would serve….like melty cheesy dips and chips. She used to serve a crab dip quite often and I loved when she served it hot.
That ooey gooey, cheese with hunks of crab perched on a cracker was almost better than those little tubes of lipstick.
Hot Crab Dip
I never got my hands on the exact crab dip recipe since my mom is no longer friends with the shellfish….so I came up with my own and I have to say…it is the Very BEST Hot Crab Dip in the world. Creamy, cheesy and slightly spicy from a bit of Tabasco sauce.
Ok, maybe a lot of Tabasco but it pairs perfectly with the whole deal. I added a bit of Pepper Jack cheese to the mix to up the heat just a bit but don’t worry, it’s not fire in your mouth spicy.
It’s just lends a bit of pep to the dip that is a welcome addition when you pop it in your mouth….making it the BEST Crab Dip…if you didn’t get that by the title.
How do you make easy Hot Crab Dip?
This Baked Crab Dip couldn’t be simpler to make, you’ll mix everything up in a bowl then spread it in a baking dish. Pop it in the oven for 20 minutes until melty and bubbling then serve hot.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese, mayonnaise and sour cream with a hand mixer until smooth.
Stir in the pepper jack, cheddar, onion, garlic, worcestershire, Tabasco, lemon juice, salt and pepper until thoroughly combined.
Fold in the crab and transfer to a small baking dish.
Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.
What is Jumbo Lump Crab Meat?
Jumbo Lump Crab Meat is like a gift from the heavens. It comes from the Blue Crab and consists of whole lumps of white meat from the body of the crab with no cartilage or shell. This is a premium quality crabmeat with a premium price tag because of the labor involved in obtaining the meat.
What can you replace the Jumbo Lump Crab with in this recipe?
It’s my recommendation to not replace the Jumbo Lump Crab in this recipe BUT if you’re trying to keep costs in check you can certainly use Backfin Crab meat in this recipe without compromising the flavor too much. Backfin crabmeat consists of some lump crab and broken pieces of body meat.
What are the other ingredients in Hot Crab Dip?
There are so many recipes out there for Hot Crab Dip but I like to keep it pretty simple to let the flavors of the crab and cheese really shine. This easy crab dip recipe contains:
- jumbo lump crabmeat
- sour cream
- cream cheese
- pepper jack cheese
- cheddar cheese
- Worcestershire sauce
- hot sauce
- cream cheese
- Old Bay, optional (lots of readers say they add it with great results!)
It’s almost the exact same dip as this Cold Crab Dip….but it’s baked into a cheesy bowl of heaven.
How To Make In Advance
- Simply assemble all the ingredients and mix together.
- Spread in the baking dish you plan to serve it in.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- Remove the plastic wrap and bake the crab dip right before serving.
Looking for even more easy dip recipes? Try these party favorites:
- The VERY BEST Buffalo Chicken Dip.…I’m not even kidding.
- This Hot Asiago Artichoke Dip is simple and amazing.
- Super easy Chili Cheese Dip makes use of leftover chili!
- Completely from scratch White Queso Dip is sooooo good!
- Want something sweet? Try this Fluffernutter Dip!
- Super easy Spinach Artichoke Dip recipe!
- WE LOVE this Swiss Cheese Fondue….and it’s ready in minutes!
Get the Recipe: The Very Best Hot Crab Dip
- 8 ounce cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup grated pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce, or other hot sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound jumbo lump crab, picked over for shells
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese, mayonnaise and sour cream with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Stir in the pepper jack, cheddar, onion, garlic, worcestershire, Tabasco, lemon juice, salt and pepper until thoroughly combined.
- Fold in the crab and transfer to a small baking dish.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.
- Serve hot with crackers, crostini or vegetables.