The Very Best Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
A party favorite! The BEST Buffalo Chicken Dip starts with the best ingredients. No canned chicken or processed cheese….this FROM SCRATCH Buffalo Chicken Dip is reason enough to throw a party.
It’s FOOTBALL season and who’s excited! I mentioned before that I’m not much of a football fan but give me a big spread of game day eats and I’m all in. There’s nothing better than bite sized party food and a crowd of rowdy football fans to make you Sunday an actual Funday!
I love cheesy dips like this Hot Crab Dip that’s so super popular with everyone who makes it (just read the comments at the bottom of the post and you’ll agree!) I could, literally, make a meal out of all the dips on this site.
This Buffalo Chicken Dip is no exception….it’s made with fresh ingredients because I’ve had bad Buffalo Chicken Dips before and it’s not good eats. They were made with processed cheese spread and canned chicken. CANNED CHICKEN is NOT GOOD!
So, I made mine with roasted chicken breast and shredded it in the food processor. It doesn’t take much time….less time than it would take you to run to the store to buy that canned chicken. It’s worth the extra step to make your own ground chicken….trust me.
What is Buffalo Chicken Dip?
Buffalo Chicken Dip is a twist on the classic buffalo wings with ranch and blue cheese. It’s rather simple to make and is way less messy to eat than a pile of Buffalo Chicken Wings.
This dip is traditionally served with tortilla chips or crackers but I like to serve it with celery sticks and carrots to make it seem a bit more healthy. It’s not…..but veggies make everything better. Am I right?
How do you make Buffalo Chicken Dip?
For starters….don’t use canned chicken. Ever. I may have mentioned that before. But Buffalo Chicken Dip is super simple to make.
- First, roast the chicken breasts in the oven until cooked through. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Cut up the chicken and place in the bowl of a food processor or blender. Pulse a few times to shred the chicken into small pieces. Alternatively, you an chop the chicken breast into small pieces using a sharp kitchen knife. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, blend together the cream cheese, ranch dressing, hot sauce, garlic powder and cheddar cheese.
- Fold in the shredded chicken.
- Transfer the chicken dip mixture to a baking dish.
- Top the chicken dip with the remaining cheddar cheese and bake until golden and bubbling.
- To serve, sprinkle the dip with crumbled blue cheese, chopped parsley and chives.
- Serve with crackers, tortilla chips and veggies.
See how simple it is to make Easy Buffalo Chicken Dip? It’s definitely the highlight of every tailgating party we throw and always the first to vanish.
If you want to make it even easier and STILL won’t feel the need to grab that canned chicken….pick up a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store and use THAT chicken breast. Totally saving you a little time in the kitchen.
I also like to use Frank’s Red Hot sauce in a pinch to replace my homemade Buffalo Sauce. It has the same consistency so yields the exact same results as homemade.
How do you cook shredded chicken for buffalo chicken dip?
I like to use this Roasted Chicken Breast recipe since the chicken is still skin on and on the bone. It keeps the meat tender and moist so your Buffalo Chicken Dip is the best ever. (You can also use boneless, skinless chicken breasts but this is my preferred method.)
Simply roast your chicken breasts in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until cooked through. Allow the chicken to cool to room temperature then cut into large chunks.
Place the chicken in a food processor or blender and pulse until finely shredded. Alternatively, if you do not have a blender or food processor, you can shred the chicken by hand with a fork or chop with a knife.
How long do you cook Buffalo Chicken Dip in the oven?
This Simple Buffalo Chicken Dip can be baked in the oven at 350 degrees for approximately 20-25 minutes. It will be golden brown and bubbly when it’s ready to serve. Top with your blue cheese crumbles and chopped chives….dig in!
How long can Buffalo Chicken Dip sit out?
When serving guests, the last thing I want to do is set out a dip that could end up being potentially dangerous. It’s definitely important to keep track of how long the food you serve sits at room temperature.
For most foods, perishable items should not sit out longer than two hours….which for me seems a bit long anyway. Longer than two hours is considered the “danger zone” and foods should be discarded after that point.
To eliminate the question of whether your Buffalo Chicken Dip is safe or not, you could totally make this a Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Dip by placing all the ingredients in your slow cooker and cooking on low for a couple hours.
Trust me when I say that this dip will not last longer than 20 minutes. I’m not even kidding.
If you’re looking for even more fabulous dip recipes you have to try that Hot Crab Dip I mentioned before or this Artichoke Asiago Dip is totally amazing, too! All my favorites for years and I may have even had a dip for dinner party where all three were served. My friends were confused.
This Mexican Layered Hummus Dip is also super easy and totally amazing….a little healthier and great if you’re not really feeling like a hot dip. Or definitely try THIS Hot Spinach Artichoke Dip….it’s a classic but made even better than your mom’s!
Looking for more game day eats? These Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings are totally fabulous and so crispy you won’t even guess the aren’t fried. Then, I toss them with this homemade Buffalo Sauce that’s totally amazing….you won’t buy it in the bottle ever again.
It’s also amazing this Bacon Wrapped Buffalo Chicken Tenders recipe….so easy…..and, um, BACON. Duh. Amazingness.
Now….I just have to make a Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese….and I’ll never leave the house. If you want to see what else we’re up to in the kitchen…and beyond, be sure to follow us over on Instagram!
The Very Best Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
Super easy, made from scratch Buffalo Chicken Dip is the best party food for game day. Tailgating must have!
- 2 boneless skinless Chicken breasts (or two cups shredded rotisserie chicken breast would work well, too.)
- 2 8- ounce blocks cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup ranch dressing
- 1/4 cup Buffalo Wing Sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- Chips celery and carrots
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place the chicken breasts on a baking sheet and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast the chicken breasts for 20-25 minutes or until cooked through.
- Allow the chicken to cool to room temperature.
- Cut the chicken into large chunks and place in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse the chicken until finely shredded. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, stir together the chicken and cream cheese.
- Fold in 1 cup cheddar cheese, ranch dressing, 1/4 cup blue cheese and wing sauce with a rubber spatula until well blended.
- Transfer the dip mixture to a baking dish and top with the remaining cheddar cheese.
Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Bake the dip for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling around the edges.
- Top with the blue cheese crumbles and chopped chives.
- Serve immediately with the chips, celery sticks and baby carrots.
Buffalo Chicken Dip can be assembled and refrigerated for up to 24 hours. Bake right before serving.
Leftover buffalo chicken dip can be stored in an airtight container refrigerated for up to 3 days.