Crockpot BBQ Pulled Chicken
This easy Crockpot Pulled Chicken recipe is perfect for those nights when you’re craving some BBQ! Chicken breasts and thighs are cooked low and slow until they’re easily shredded to tender perfection. Plus, the chicken is cooked in BBQ sauce and chicken stock which infuses it with so much mouthwatering flavor.
Crockpot Pulled Chicken
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Crockpot recipes are seriously the best. On those crazy busy weeknights when I want a homemade dinner on the table, I love being able to open that lid and serve whatever has been cooking all day! this easy BBQ chicken recipe is perfect for exactly those kinds of nights. It’s kid-friendly, so incredibly easy to make, features inexpensive ingredients and can feed a ton of people. Hello, leftovers!
There are two key factors here that make this chicken so good. For starters, the low and slow Crockpot cooking process gets the chicken as tender as can be! It’s easy to shred with two forks in just a few minutes. The other part of this recipe that’s worth drooling over is the flavor, of course! Barbecue sauce, chicken stock and chicken dry rub lend the most mouthwatering flavor to the meat.
Speaking of the meat, I like to use both chicken breasts and thighs in this easy Crockpot recipe. Using both cuts of meat is great because then you’re getting varying textures from both the white and dark meat. If you’re not a fan of either the breasts or thighs, no worries! You can always just double the amount of the cut you prefer for your meal. This recipe is super easy and versatile!
How to Make Crockpot Pulled Chicken
- Season the chicken. First, pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Then sprinkle on the dry rub on both sides! Gently press the seasoning into the chicken to help it stick.
- Cover the chicken. Place the chicken in the slow cooker. Pour on the chicken stock, then add the barbecue sauce. Use tongs to turn the chicken over to fully coat it.
- Cook. Cover the Crockpot with the lid. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
- Shred it. Use tongs to remove the chicken from the Crockpot. Place it on a cutting board and shred with two forks.
- Return to the Crockpot. Place the shredded chicken back into the Crockpot. Toss it around in the liquid and cook for about another 20-30 minutes.
- Enjoy! Serve the chicken as the centerpiece of a BBQ sandwich, or however else your heart desires.
We love this programmable slow cooker with auto warm setting by CrockPot! It’s a great way to make dinners easy and keep them warm until you’re ready to eat. We pull this one out at least once a week and the price can’t be beat!
Tips for the Best Crockpot Pulled Chicken
Here’s how to get the very best BBQ pulled chicken every time!
- Make your own dry rub. There are some good store-bought options out there, but my favorite dry rub recipe is my homemade chicken dry rub! It’s got the most incredible flavor and is easy to make with a handful of spices.
- No peeking! When it comes to every Crockpot recipe, heed this warning – NO PEEKING! Every time you open the lid of a slow cooker, heat gets released and you have to add a few more minutes of cook time. Just let that lid sit nice and snug while the chicken cooks.
- You can change up the BBQ sauce. Any bottle of BBQ sauce you prefer will work well with this versatile recipe. It can be spicy, sweet, or just your run of the mill BBQ sauce. If you really want to send this recipe over the top, consider using my homemade honey chipotle barbecue sauce!
Storage and Reheating
In an airtight container in the fridge, any leftovers you have of this pulled chicken will stay fresh for about 3-4 days. Feel free to reheat in the microwave in 30 second intervals until warmed through. You may want to add a little bit more BBQ sauce to help add moisture back into your leftovers.
Check out more of the best easy Crockpot recipes!
- Crockpot Pulled Pork
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
- Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
- Easy Crockpot Meatloaf
Get the Recipe: CrockPot BBQ Pulled Chicken Recipe
- 3 boneless skinless Chicken Breasts
- 4 boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 1/4 cup Chicken Dry Rub
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup barbecue Sauce, plus more for serving
- 1 slow cooker
- Pat the chicken parts dry with a paper towel and sprinkle liberally on both sides of the chicken with the dry rub.
- Arrange the chicken in the bottom of a slow cooker and add the chicken stock.
- Pour the barbecue sauce over the chicken and, using tongs, turn the chicken over to coat.
- Cover the slow cooker with the lid and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove the chicken to a cutting board and shred with two forks.
- Return the chicken to the slow cooker, tossing the chicken with tongs to soak up the liquid, and cook for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve the chicken on rolls and top with more barbecue sauce, if desired.