Dorito Taco Salad
This mouthwatering Dorito Taco Salad is THE side dish to make for your next backyard barbecue, game night, or potluck! This taco salad has ground beef to give you some delicious protein, Doritos chips to give you a satisfying cheesy crunch, and a bounty of veggies that are snuck in there too.
Dorito Taco Salad
Does any kid on this planet like salad? Genuine question! I swear, every time I try to serve my little one salad, it’s like he’s allergic to it the way he reacts. However, that attitude totally changes when I make this Dorito taco salad. I mean, I’m practically giving him an excuse to eat chips for dinner! The best part is, it’s so tasty, he doesn’t even pick out all of the veggies that are in there, too. He eats it all with a smile on his face! In fact, so does everyone at the table.
Let’s talk about what exactly makes this taco salad so addictive. I’ll give you a hint – it’s not just the nacho cheese Dorito chips, although they play a big part! No, the way everything mixed together in each perfect bite is really what makes you keep going back for more. The vegetables, Catalina dressing, cheddar cheese and taco seasoned ground beef all come together to create my favorite taco salad, probably ever! While I usually serve this taco salad as a side dish, it can definitely stand on its own for lunch or dinner, too.
So next time you want to sneak some healthy veggies on to your kid’s dinner plate, consider making this Dorito taco salad! Trust me, they’ll be so busy digging in that they won’t have time to sit there and pick out what they don’t like. If you serve this taco salad as a side dish, it plates perfectly with main courses like Birria Tacos, Fajita Style Chicken Quesadillas, and Chicken Enchiladas. Of course, you could always enjoy it all by itself!
How to Make It
This easy Dorito taco salad comes together in under 30 minutes. It’s such a cinch to toss up!
Brown. Brown the ground beef in a large skillet. Drain the fat and stir in the taco seasoning with 1/4 cup water. Cook more, then add the taco seasoning.
Add it all in a bowl. Add the lettuce to a large bowl and top with the remaining ingredients. Save the Doritos and avocado slices for last!
Cool. Refrigerate the taco salad until you’re ready to serve it.
Top it off and serve. Top with the Doritos and avocado (if using) and serve immediately! Enjoy!
Variations to Try –
- Trying to add even more veggies to this taco salad? Fresh corn, chopped jalapeños, and sliced red cabbage are all delicious additions to this already nutritious salad.
- Instead of ground beef, you could choose ground turkey or chicken for a heart healthier fare. Also, you could try a plant-based ground meat alternative if you’re a vegetarian.
- Nacho cheese Doritos are my favorite kind of chips to toss into this salad. However, you could use any flavor of Dorito you like best! The spicy sweet chili ones in the purple bag would also be pretty tasty.
How long will this taco salad stay fresh?
In an airtight container, without the dressing, chips, or avocado slices, this taco salad will stay fresh for about 2 days. Don’t assemble everything until you’re ready to serve it, or the chips will get soggy. Once the salad is fully assembled and tossed, it needs to be enjoyed immediately. Sadly, it doesn’t make for very good leftovers.
What other toppings can I add?
Besides just the Doritos and avocado slices, you can add chopped cilantro, fresh lime juice, and cojita cheese for a fun Mexican twist. There’s plenty of room for creativity with this easy recipe!
We love using leftover slow cooker taco beef to make things even easier!
This is one of my favorite salad recipes! It may not be traditional, but it’s sure tasty. Here are some more salad recipes that aren’t like all the others!
Get the Recipe: Dorito Taco Salad
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning or 3 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning
- 2 1/2 cup chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 cup black beans
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup crushed Doritos
- 1/2 cup Catalina Dressing
- 1 avocado, sliced, optional
- Brown the ground beef in a large skillet until no longer pink.
- Drain the fat and stir in the taco seasoning with 1/4 cup water. Cook until slightly thickened.
- Add the lettuce to a large bowl and top with the remaining ingredients (save the Doritos and avocado for last!)
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Top with the Doritos and avocado (if using) and drizzle with the dressing.
- Serve immediately.