Easy Bolognese French Bread Pizza
Rich, meaty bolognese sauce spread on toasted, garlic bread and topped with cheese. This Bolognese French Bread Pizza is ready in minutes and perfect for those nights when schedules don’t synch up leaving everyone to eat at staggered times.
This is the time of year when we start to get crazy. I’m bracing for it….however, I know it’s not going to happen this year. Katie graduated in June and doesn’t start school until September 22. We are in a lull. But because, for the past 18 years, I knew when school started I was going to have to face insane schedules of work and play. Cheerleading practice, school projects, homework, bake sales, fundraising, cheer moms, girl drama…..the list went on and on. And trying to get dinner on the table for everyone who couldn’t eat at the same time. It’s like, ingrained in my brain. And I know most of you are already facing this silly scheduling dilemma or are about to at any minute.
Stocking the freezer was always a lifesaver. Even those days when I forgot to defrost something for dinner….I could always thaw something pre-made and frozen and know it was a home cooked meal. Bolognese is ALWAYS in my freezer. And most of the time, this jewel tops a giant pile of pasta…with no complaints. It’s hearty and comforting. And there’s always a tiny bit left…never enough for a meal unless you stretch it. Across the top of a piece of french bread. That’s been toasted and rubbed with a bit of garlic. You can smell the garlic….you will want to skip everything else and take a bite. Don’t do it, take a deep breath and forge ahead. Spread the bolognese over the top of the bread and
sprinkle blanket some cheese on that sauce. Place under the broiler and don’t take your eyes off it….it will go from unmelted to completely overdone in a blink. Plus, it’s fun to watch cheese melt and get all bubbly. This is what I do with my time now. It’s not really, but I know what a lot of people think I do all day. 🙂 We’ll get to that in another post very soon.
Back to the Bolognese French Bread Pizza…..if you haven’t made my Bolognese Sauce yet, I suggest you give it a try. Your meat eaters will think you’re a kitchen genius. If you all are vegetarian, try my Mushroom Bolognese. Equally hearty and rich, my meat eaters didn’t even flinch when I switched things up on them. They loved it just as much as the original Bolognese Sauce!
And if you’re not up for shredding your own cheese (which is WAY better than getting pre-shredded), free free to buy the Italian blend shredded cheese. The variety of cheeses on this pizza really adds to the flavor. Plain mozzarella is too bland in my opinion and will be overpowered by the sauce.
Soccer practice, homework, football games, cheerleading competitions, drama practice……I know. It’s a lot…so let’s keep dinners quick and simple. A little prep work on the weekends will help us all get through this trying time. We can do it if we all stick together. Just remember….you’re making memories that will last forever. And once your kids graduate and move on to bigger things, you will miss those crazy chaotic times. Well…sometimes. For like a minute. 🙂
Easy Bolognese French Bread Pizza
- 1 loaf french bread cut in half both horizontally and vertically
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove cut in half
- 1 cup reheated bolognese sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded asiago cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Brush the cut sides of the bread with olive oil and place cut side up directly on an oven rack. Toast the bread in the oven until crisp and then transfer to a baking sheet.
- Toss the shredded cheese in a bowl until combined and set aside.
- Rub the cut sides of the bread with half a garlic clove and top with 1/4 cup bolognese sauce. Repeat for all remaining bread halves. Top each with equal amount of cheese and return the bread to the oven on the baking sheet. Turn the broiler on high and melt the cheese until golden and bubbly, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Serve immediately.