Stuffed Zucchini Pizza Boats
Zucchini Pizza Boats are low carb and highly delicious! Loaded with bold ingredients like pizza sauce, mozzarella, pepperoni and more, you get all the pleasures of a pizza with none of the dough. The zucchini itself is perfectly baked and tender, so it serves as the perfect base to all of the Italian inspired ingredients on top!
Zucchini Pizza Boats
Hello, keto queens! This one’s for you. Well, I guess this one is for anyone who’s looking to enjoy all their favorite pizza flavors with none of the carbs! Instead of making a lackluster carb-free pizza dough that tastes more like styrofoam than dough or fuss with a cauliflower crust, why not pile on all of your favorite pizza toppings onto a zucchini boat?! They’re a great fresh alternative that you’ll love sinking your teeth into.
And guess what? Kids like them, too! I can’t lie and say that kids prefer these boats to an actual pizza, but they do have fun eating these little green boats.
After all, it’s hard to find a kid who doesn’t like anything that tastes like pizza, right?! Even your pickiest little eater may find themselves enjoying one of these healthy dinnertime zucchini boats.
I also love that these zucchini pizza boats are so customizable. A fun idea is to let everyone in the house top off their own boat the way they like it, just as they would a personal pizza. That way, you know everyone’s getting exactly what they like!
How to Make Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Prepare. Preheat your oven to 350˚F.
- Slice and scoop. Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds with a spoon.
- Make it saucy. Arrange the zucchini cut side up on a baking sheet and spoon the sauce over the top filling the cavity where the seeds were with the sauce.
- Top them off. Sprinkle the mozzarella over the sauce and top with the pizza toppings.
- Bake. Bake the zucchini until tender and cheese is melted, approximately 15 minutes.
- Make it flavorful. Season with the pizza seasoning.
- Serve, and enjoy! Serve with grated parmesan cheese and crushed red pepper, if desired.
How long will zucchini pizza boats stay fresh?
In an airtight container in the refrigerator, these low-carb pizza boats will stay fresh for about 3 days. To reheat them, do not use the microwave! The microwave will make the texture of the zucchini limp, soft, and lose its shape. Instead, reheat these bad boys back in the oven at 350°F for just about 5-7 minutes until they’re warmed through.
Toppings For Zucchini Boats
First things first – let’s talk about the cheese. Mozzarella is my favorite, and the best way to enjoy it is to buy it freshly shredded. Check with your local deli and see if they’ll do that for you – the results are insane!
Other than making sure you have perfect cheese, there are SO many other ways to enhance and top off the zucchini boats. Just remember, if you like it on a pizza, you’ll like it on these boats. Yes, even you anchovy lovers out there will likely be satisfied with those little fish mixed in with your other toppings.
Oh, and if you don’t have any pizza sauce on hand and don’t want to make any, you can just use some marinara sauce instead. It’ll still be robust and tasty.
More Easy Zucchini Recipes
- Parmesan Zucchini Fries
- Asian Style Zucchini Noodle Salad with Baked Tofu
- Zucchini Tart with Sweet Corn, Basil and Parmesan
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread
- Roasted Zucchini
Get the Recipe: Stuffed Zucchini Pizza Boats Recipe
- 4 zucchini, halved lengthwise (medium sized work best)
- 1 1/2 cups pizza sauce or marinara sauce
- 2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup diced pepperoni
- 1/2 cup cooked, crumbled sausage
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1/4 cup fine diced bell peppers
- 1/4 cup fine diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon pizza seasoning
- Grated parmesan cheese and crushed red pepper, optional
- baking sheet
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds with a spoon.
- Arrange the zucchini cut side up on a baking sheet and spoon the sauce over the top filling the cavity where the seeds were with the sauce.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella over the sauce and top with the pizza toppings.
- Bake the zucchini until tender and cheese is melted, approximately 15 minutes.
- Season with the pizza seasoning.
- Serve with grated parmesan cheese and crushed red pepper, if desired.