Easy Cheesy Cauliflower Breadsticks Recipe
Low-carb, gluten-free Easy Cheesy Cauliflower Breadsticks are a hit with the entire family. It’s the best way to have your “bread” and eat it too! Made with simple ingredients that add maximum flavor, they’re absolutely addicting.
So…..the Eagles won the playoffs and are going to the Super Bowl! Do I hear a collective Woooooohooo? No? Just here in Philly? I mean, aren’t we all a little over the Patiots winning every single year? It’s getting a little old and kinda….well, shady. Plus….New Year, New You. Right? How about a little Eagles love. I always love the beginning of a new year because it’s like a blank slate. A fresh start to a new year and a new you…if you’re like me. I always have a few things lingering from the year before that I like to change like…..procrastination. Or a new Super Bowl Winner! Yes!!
I conquered the procrastination problem a bit last year and want to keep that going strong in 2018. Maybe even be one of those people who gets things done weeks before their due so I have absolutely no stress in my life once the due date hits. Or the laundry….anyone else end up with piles of clean laundry in baskets waiting to be folded and put away? It’s like the mail….that just keeps coming except you can’t throw those jeans and socks in the trash with the junk mail. Or those last few pounds….they always seem to linger but I still love bread so….I had to come up with a solution.
Enter the Easy Cheesy Cauliflower Breadsticks. They’re easy….they’re cheesy and they’re the perfect substitute to those carb heavy dinner rolls we all know and love.
But just being real here….as much as I LOVE these Easy Cheesy Cauliflower Breadsticks, they are not bread. Just like Cauliflower Pizza Crust is NOT really bread….or pizza crust. Or Cauliflower Rice is not really rice. I’m a realist when it comes to dieting and/or lifestyle changes. And one thing is for certain….I will not ever deprive myself so I will eat bread on occasion.
But if you’re like me, bread can be a trigger food so you’ll want more once you take a bite. Before you know it, the whole darn bread basket is empty and there’s a tiny pile of crumbs sitting on the table in front of you. And your dinner companions are looking at you like you’re some kind of animal. It’s ok, though…tomorrow’s a new day.
So, I made these Easy Cheesy Cauliflower Breadsticks to enjoy anytime I had something saucy I needed to sop up because I’m part of the clean plate club. These “breadsticks” are cheesy, garlic-y, herb-y and satisfying.
And unlike many other cauliflower “breadstick” or “pizza crust” recipes I’ve tried, this recipe gives you breadsticks that actually stay in one piece when you pick them up! No more knife and fork needed to eat your “breadsticks.” Because who really eats their bread with a fork? Also, they’re packed with flavor and I can totally eat them as a meal all on their own alongside a big vat of marinara sauce. And maybe a glass of wine. Fewer carbs = more wine.
These Easy Cheesy Cauliflower Breadsticks are a great addition to your Sunday family dinners or an excellent low-carb option for game day. Serve with your favorite sauce for dipping and you’re good to go! And if you’re looking for a few more low carb recipes you will LOVE this easy stir fry with Cauliflower Rice or these super tasty Teriyaki Chicken Lettuce Wraps!
Easy Cheesy Cauliflower Breadsticks Recipe
- 1 head cauliflower cut into florets
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups shredded Italian blend cheese I used a mix of parmesan, mozzarella and asiago, divided
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil divided
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Place the cauliflower in a food processor. Process the cauliflower on low until it become fine and crumbly resembling rice.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat and add the cauliflower rice to the pan. Cook the cauliflower, stirring frequently, until it becomes dry and most of the moisture has cooked out. Allow to cool to room temperature in the pan.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a large bowl. Add the eggs, 1 cup shredded Italian Blend cheese, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon basil, garlic powder, salt and pepper to the bowl. Using your hands or a wooden spoon, stir until thoroughly combined.
- Turn the cauliflower mixture out onto the parchment lined baking sheet and pat into a rectangle approximately 1/2 inch thick.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until golden brown and dry around the edges.
- Top with the remaining Italian blend cheese and the cheddar cheese over the breadsticks. Continue baking for an additional 2 to 3 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and golden.
- Sprinkle the remaining basil over the breadsticks and cut into 1 1/2 inch wide strips.
- Serve immediately.
These breadsticks can be made up to 8 hours in advance up to step 6. To serve, reheat in the oven at 425 degrees for 3 to 4 minutes before topping with cheese and baking for the remainder of the time.