Easy Cheesy Cauliflower Breadsticks Recipe
Low-carb, gluten-free Easy Cheesy Cauliflower Breadsticks are a hit with the entire family. It’s the best way to have your “bread” and eat it too! Made with simple ingredients that add maximum flavor, they’re absolutely addicting.
If you’re anything like me, bread can be a trigger food so you’ll want more once you take just one tiny bite. Before you know it, the whole darn bread basket is empty and there’s a tiny pile of crumbs sitting on the table in front of you. And your dinner companions are looking at you like you’re some kind of animal. It’s ok, though…tomorrow’s a new day.
So, I made these Easy Cheesy Cauliflower Breadsticks to enjoy anytime I had something saucy I needed to sop up because I’m a member of the clean plate club. These “breadsticks” are cheesy, garlic-y, herb-y and satisfying.
CAULIFLOWER CRUST BREADSTICKS
They’re easy….they’re cheesy and they’re the perfect substitute to those carb heavy dinner rolls we all know and love.
But just being real here….as much as I LOVE these Easy Cheesy Cauliflower Breadsticks, they are not bread. Just like Cauliflower Pizza Crust is NOT really bread….or pizza crust. Or Cauliflower Rice is not really rice. I’m a realist when it comes to dieting and/or lifestyle changes. And one thing is for certain….I will not ever deprive myself so I will eat bread on occasion.
These easy “breadsticks” are made with homemade cauliflower rice but you can use store-bought if time is tight.
And unlike many other cauliflower “breadstick” or “pizza crust” recipes I’ve tried, this recipe gives you breadsticks that actually stay in one piece when you pick them up! No more knife and fork needed to eat your “breadsticks.” Because who really eats their bread with a fork?
Also, they’re packed with flavor and I can totally eat them as a meal all on their own alongside a big vat of marinara sauce. And maybe a glass of wine. Fewer carbs = more wine.
HOW TO MAKE CAULIFLOWER BREADSTICKS
This cauliflower breadstick recipe is really simple to make. Essentially, we’re making a cauliflower pizza crust here so the steps are similar to that recipe I shared a few months ago.
The key to perfect crust is being patient and allowing it to crisp up. Because there’s a ton of moisture in your cauliflower, you’ll have to let it bake out of the crust in order for it to crisp up.
- If you’re using fresh cauliflower rice, steam it briefly in the microwave for about 3-4 minutes. Allow to cool and then wrap in a paper towel tightly to squeeze the water out of it. You want your cauliflower to be dry before mixing with the other ingredients. If you’re using frozen cauliflower rice, allow to thaw and then squeeze the water out of it using the paper towel method.
- Transfer the cauliflower rice to a bowl. Add the egg, cheese, garlic powder, italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Mix the ingredients together to combine.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and coat with cooking spray. I use a baking sheet without a rim to make it easier to transfer the breadsticks directly to the rack halfway through baking.
- Shape the cauliflower into a large oval or rectangle on top of the parchment approximately 1/2 inch thick pressing it together to form the breadstick dough.
- Bake the cauliflower breadsticks in a 400 degree oven for 30-35 minutes or until the crust is golden and firm.
- Carefully slide the parchment paper with the breadsticks from the baking sheet directly to the oven rack and bake for an additional 15 minutes. This will ensure the bottom of the crust is dry and crispy so you don’t have to eat it with a fork.
- Top with the remaining cheeses and bake until bubbling.
- Remove from the oven, cut into sticks and serve!
HOW TO FREEZE
Making your cauliflower breadsticks ahead of time and freezing it is a great timesaver for weeknight dinners. I like to make four smaller breadstick disks and freeze them for quick meals when time is at a minimum but you can also freeze the large dough, too.
Follow all the instructions for making your cauliflower breadsticks and then transfer the prepared dough to the freezer on a baking sheet. Freeze until firm and then wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap. Cover with foil and freeze for up to 2 months.
To bake from frozen, transfer the breadstick dough to a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees until hot. Top your breadsticks with your cheese and toppings, if desired, continuing to bake for an additional 8 minutes.
PRO TIPS FOR PERFECT BREADSTICKS
- Be sure to use a flat cookie sheet or preheat baking stone (This is what I use and love.) lined with parchment to bake your cauliflower breadsticks. If you don’t have a cookie sheet or baking stone, you can use a rimmed baking sheet inverted. This will help when transferring the parchment to the baking rack for the end of the cooking time.
- Be patient, your patience will be rewarded with crispy sticks that are tasty and amazing. The baking time can vary so check your breadsticks at the 30 minute mark and don’t move it to the oven rack until it’s golden brown with crispy, firm edges.
- Go light on the toppings! As tempting as it may be to load it up, too much cheese will add extra moisture (and heft) to your sticks which could cause it to fall apart.
These Easy Cheesy Cauliflower Breadsticks are a great addition to your Sunday family dinners or an excellent low-carb option for game day. Serve with your favorite sauce for dipping and you’re good to go! And if you’re looking for a few more low carb recipes you will LOVE this easy stir fry with Cauliflower Rice or these super tasty Teriyaki Chicken Lettuce Wraps!
LOOKING FOR MORE DINNER INSPIRATION? FOLLOW US OVER ON INSTAGRAM AND FACEBOOK FOR MORE FAMILY FAVORITE RECIPES!
Get the Recipe: Easy Cheesy Cauliflower Breadsticks Recipe
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups shredded Italian blend cheese, I used a mix of parmesan, mozzarella and asiago, divided
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, divided
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Place the cauliflower in a food processor. Process the cauliflower on low until it become fine and crumbly resembling rice.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat and add the cauliflower rice to the pan. Cook the cauliflower, stirring frequently, until it becomes dry and most of the moisture has cooked out. Allow to cool to room temperature in the pan.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a large bowl. Add the eggs, 1 cup shredded Italian Blend cheese, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon basil, garlic powder, salt and pepper to the bowl. Using your hands or a wooden spoon, stir until thoroughly combined.
- Turn the cauliflower mixture out onto the parchment lined baking sheet and pat into a rectangle approximately 1/2 inch thick.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until golden brown and dry around the edges.
- Top with the remaining Italian blend cheese and the cheddar cheese over the breadsticks. Continue baking for an additional 2 to 3 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and golden.
- Sprinkle the remaining basil over the breadsticks and cut into 1 1/2 inch wide strips.
- Serve immediately.