Easy Chicken Tetrazzini Recipe // Video
Creamy and comforting Chicken Tetrazzini is a classic casserole recipe that’s a hit with the whole family. Tender pasta is baked in a creamy sauce with chicken and topped with a buttery crumb topping. Absolute comfort food!
There’s a chill in the air and it has me craving all the cozy casseroles and comfort dishes! In between baking cookies and wrapping gifts, I want something that’s going to be hearty, satisfying and flavorful. This easy Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole is just the thing that will keep me going all through the colder months.
Chicken Tetrazzini is a baked pasta dish made with diced chicken or turkey, noodles and a creamy sauce that may or may not contain cheese. Often, a bit of sherry is added to the sauce but it’s not absolute must have in this recipe.
My kids LOVE baked pasta recipes and this Chicken Tetrazzini is one of their favorites. It’s fantastic and quick if you have some leftover pasta on hand from earlier in the week. If not, you just need an extra 8 minutes to cook up some pasta for this recipe.
I like to throw in some peas for a bit of color and mushrooms because a Classic Chicken Tetrazzini calls for them. If you have mushroom adverse family member, you can certainly leave them out. Nobody likes drama at the dinner table.
And because time is always hard to find around here, I made the creamy sauce even easier by using my favorite Campbell’s Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup.
If you remember, I cut the prep time for my Cheesy Brussel Sprouts by using Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup and it was one of the best recipes I’ve made all year.
Campbell’s Cream of Chicken soup is even creamier than I remember and tastes just like homemade.
Campbell’s has been a staple in my kitchen for as long as I remember. My mom always had the pantry stocked with their tasty soups….it was like a cupboard filled with comfort. And since they’ve been around for 150 years, you know they’re doing something right.
I’ve always been a big fan of the Cream of Chicken Soup but now it’s better than ever because they added even more cream making the soup even more luscious and satisfying.
HOW TO MAKE IT
This tetrazzini recipe comes together rather quickly and is can be made in advance for an even easier weeknight dinner.
I like to use up leftover chicken from earlier in the week or leftover rotisserie chicken works really well, too.
To make the creamy sauce, simply whisk together the Campbell’s Cream of Chicken Soup, half and half, sour cream and seasonings.
Toss the sauce with the cooked pasta together in a bowl to combine. Fold in the mushrooms (if using), chicken and peas.
Transfer the ingredients to a casserole dish coated with cooking spray and sprinkle with the buttery breadcrumb mixture.
Bake your chicken tetrazzini casserole in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the casserole is bubbling.
Allow the casserole to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH IT
You can add a few things to make this recipe your very own but our favorites are slipping in a few porcini mushrooms to punch up the flavor.
Or substitute the chicken with leftovers from Thanksgiving for a Turkey Tetrazzini that’s not going to make you fear the leftovers. Or add some chopped ham for a salty, extra savory twist.
MORE EASY CASSEROLE RECIPES
- Easy Stuffed Cabbage Casserole
- Tuna Noodle Casserole is such a classic!
- A family favorite, Dorito Chicken Casserole.
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole is on repeat, always.
Chicken Tetrazzini Recipe
- baking dish
- 4 cups cooked chicken breast chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound white mushrooms sliced
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 can Campbell’s Cream of Chicken Soup
- 3 cups whole milk room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream room temperature
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 12 cooked linguine
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Place the chicken in a very large bowl, set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and saute over until the liquid from the mushrooms evaporates and the mushrooms become golden brown, about 12 minutes.
- Add the onion, garlic, and thyme, and saute until the onion is translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer the mushroom mixture to the bowl with the chicken.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the cream of chicken soup, milk, sour cream, garlic powder and nutmeg.
- Add the linguine, sauce, peas, and parsley to the chicken mixture. Toss until the sauce coats the pasta and the mixture is well blended.
- Transfer the pasta mixture to a baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Stir the cheese, breadcrumbs and butter together in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle the cheese mixture over the pasta.
- Bake, uncovered, until golden brown on top and the sauce bubbles, about 25 minutes.