Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
Dig into the best weeknight comfort food! Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole is creamy, cheesy, buttery and satisfying. Super simple to make with easy to find ingredients, this one will be on weekly rotation for sure!
We made it….it’s Friday! And even if you have a jam packed weekend scheduled, I hope you’re in a part of the country that’s enjoying some of that mild fall weather I’ve been waiting for.
I just got back from Iowa where we spanned three different seasons in just three days. It’s pretty crazy…..but the last day was absolutely frigid because the wind was blowing pretty fiercely. It made me want to sit down and stuff my face with some serious comfort food!
I’ve been dabbling in casserole recipes again because they were such a staple of my childhood. So simple to throw together, the ultimate casserole is a one hit wonder that’s sure to please even the pickiest eater in your family and this Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole is no exception.
Made easy with fresh, simple ingredients you can pick up at your local grocery store, this Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole is a twist on the classic Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe. I absolutely love the contrasting textures and flavors of this dish.
From the crispy, buttery breadcrumb crust to the tangy, buttery cheese sauce, this dish is quick to throw together for an easy weeknight dinner.
What is Chicken Cordon Bleu?
Chicken Cordon Bleu is a french classic chicken dish. It’s, basically, chicken breast that’s been butterflied, then stuffed with ham and Swiss cheese.
Sometimes the chicken is breaded then fried but I’ve also seen it breaded and baked in the oven. The crispy exterior is a great contrast to the cheesy, salty filling. It’s definitely one of my favorite chicken dinners ever.
How do you make Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole?
This Baked Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole is a cinch to make. I like to start with roasted chicken. I’ve seen it made with raw chicken that’s been baked in the Chicken Cordon Bleu sauce but the sauce tends to get watered down and it adds a raw poultry flavor that’s not really my favorite thing at all.
- First, cut up the chicken into bite sized chunks. (Or you can shred it if you prefer.)
- Place the chicken in the bottom of a 13×9 inch baking dish and set aside.
- Make the cheese sauce by melting butter in the bottom of a large sauce pan.
- Whisk the flour into the cheese sauce and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the milk to the flour mixture and whisk to combine.
- Stir in the garlic powder, salt, pepper and dijon mustard.
- Continue cooking over medium heat until slightly thickened and sauce coats the back of a spoon.
- Stir half the shredded cheese into the milk mixture and remove from the heat.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the chicken in the baking dish.
- Top the chicken with the ham and sprinkle with the remaining shredded cheese.
- In a small bowl, toss together the bread crumbs and butter. Stir in the herbs.
- Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the cheese evenly.
- Bake the casserole for 30 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.
- Allow the Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
If you want to make your sauce even creamier, you can use heavy cream or Half and Half (which is my preference because it’s a little lighter than cream.)
HOW TO MAKE IN ADVANCE
You can make this Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole recipe in advance and reheat it in the oven when ready to serve.
BUT you can also ASSEMBLE the casserole in advance, cover and store in the refrigerator until ready to bake because the chicken is already cooked. I would definitely recommend trying this meal prepping plan to save yourself some weeknight sanity. Just check out the recipe notes for tips on how to do this for best results.
HOW TO FREEZE
You can totally freeze this casserole for easy dinners on the fly. Because the chicken is already cooked you can safely freeze the casserole for easy dinners at another time. It’s also fabulous for Pot Lucks.
- Assemble the casserole up to the ham topping.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled, top the casserole with the cheese and bread crumb topping.
- Cover the casserole tightly with plastic wrap and then cover with foil.
- Label the casserole with the name of the dish “Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole” and cooking instructions, as well as, the date you froze it.
To cook from frozen:
- Remove the foil and plastic wrap from the casserole.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Bake the casserole for 1 hour or until golden brown and bubbling.
If you’re looking for MORE easy casserole recipes you should try:
- Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Chicken Divan Casserole
- The Very Best Baked Ziti Recipe
- Chicken and Dumpling Skillet Casserole
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Dorito Chicken Casserole
And if you’re looking for EVEN MORE family friendly recipes be sure to follow us over on Instagram!
Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
- 6 tbsp butter, divided
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 1/2 tbsp flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 lb thinly sliced ham
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spread the chicken in an even layer in a 13x9 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt 4 tablespoons of butter. Whisk in the wine and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk the flour into the butter mixture and cook for an additional 2 minutes until the mixture begins to turn golden.
- Slowly whisk in the milk continuing to cook until the mixture is slightly thickened.
- Stir in the garlic powder, mustard and 1/2 the cheese. Remove from the heat and continue stirring until smooth. Stir in the salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the chicken.
- Arrange the ham over the chicken and sprinkle with the remaining Swiss cheese. Set aside.
- Melt the remaining butter in the microwave for 20 seconds. Stir the bread crumbs and thyme into the butter to combine.
- Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the casserole and transfer to the oven.
- Bake the casserole for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.
- Allow the casserole to rest for 10 minutes prior to serving.