Birthday Cake Puppy Chow Recipe (Muddy Buddies Recipe)
A celebration in a bowl, this easy Birthday Cake Puppy Chow Recipe is a super simple chex snack mix that’s totally and completely addicting. Funfetti cake flavors in a crunchy, crispy sweet treat that’s perfect for any occasion.
Happy Thursday! We, almost, made it through the week and I couldn’t be happier to celebrate the weekend. Summers are kinda tough because you want to be outside playing in the sun and enjoying life but….bills have to be paid and so I stay indoors (unless I’m grilling!) to get work done. I DO get to the beach quite a bit but today, even, will be a late day because…..work.
There are no birthdays around here right now but that doesn’t stop me from making this easy Birthday Cake Puppy Chow snack recipe. It’s filled with Funfetti cake flavor, which is one of my favorite birthday cakes to make.
Puppy Chow Chex Mix is also know as the ever famous Muddy Buddies. There are so many varieties of Muddy Buddy recipe floating around the internet that I thought why not through a Funfetti Muddy Buddy into the mix. Right? EVERYONE loves sprinkles!! They just make life more fun!
I’m a big fan of Funfetti and Birthday Cake inspired recipes like these easy coffee cake muffins and this crazy good Funfetti Cheesecake recipe. And who can forget this Birthday Cake Hot Chocolate??? I mean….OMG…is it good.
How to Make Puppy Chow
This is one of the easiest snack mix recipes to make. Puppy Chow is so easy to make that the kids can kinda take care of things themselves!
Here’s how to make Birthday Cake Puppy Chow:
- Pour the cereal into a large bowl.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring after each, until smooth.
- Stir in the frosting, almond extract, vanilla and salt.
- Heat the frosting mixture for an additional 20 seconds and stir until smooth.
- Pour the frosting mixture over the cereal and add half the sprinkles.
- Stir to coat the cereal with the frosting and sprinkles.
- Transfer half the cereal to a large zip top bag and add the remaining sprinkles.
- Pour half the powdered sugar over the cereal. Add the remaining cereal and powdered sugar to the bag, seal and shake to coat.
- Spread the mixture on a baking sheet and allow to dry.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve.
Tips for Making Puppy Chow
- Be careful heating the chocolate in the microwave, overheating will cause the chocolate to seize and that’s hard to come back from.
- You can heat the chocolate on the stovetop by putting the chocolate in a glass bowl and placing the bowl over a pot of simmering water. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow to melt, stirring occasionally, until smooth.
- Be sure the frosting is warm before adding to the chocolate or it will cause the chocolate to seize. You can heat the icing in the microwave for a few seconds to warm it up before stirring it into the chocolate.
- Adding the cereal and powdered sugar to the zip top bag in layers helps to ensure that all your cereal is perfectly coated with sugar. And Sprinkles.
There are so many variations of Puppy Chow but this is one of my favorites. Here are a few more ideas for Muddy Buddies:
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Puppy Chow is a classic.
- Cookies and Cream Puppy Chow
- Candy Cane Puppy Chow for the holidays!
Birthday Cake Puppy Chow is a fun treat for a kids birthday or someone that doesn’t like cake (the horror!)….but they’re also GLUTEN FREE so it’s a great snack for those that have a restricted diet. Also, if you’re careful with the ingredients they are allergy friendly for so many other kids, too.
AND….Puppy Chow is a NO BAKE dessert! Just a few seconds in the microwave and you’re good to go!
MORE KID SNACK IDEAS
Birthday Cake Puppy Chow Recipe (Muddy Buddy Recipe)
- 6 cups chex cereal
- 12 ounces chopped white chocolate
- 1/2 cup vanilla frosting
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Pour the cereal in a large bowl and set aside.
- Place the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and heat in the microwave at high power for 30 seconds. Stir and continue to melt in the microwave at 30 second increments until smooth.
- Stir the frosting, almond extract, vanilla and a pinch of salt into the chocolate. Heat for an additional 20 seconds and stir until smooth.
- Pour the frosting over the cereal and add half the sprinkles. Toss to combine.
- Add half the cereal to a zip top bag. Top with half the powdered sugar and the remaining sprinkles. Add the remaining cereal and powdered sugar to the bag, seal and shake until coated.
- Spread the puppy chow on a large baking sheet in an even layer to dry for 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve.