Easy Homemade Steak Sauce Recipe
Savory and tangy, Homemade Steak Sauce is super simple to make and, quite literally, smokes any bottled commercial steak sauce you may have ever tried. The best flavors blended together in less than 30 minutes, you won’t believe how easy this steak sauce recipe is to whip up.
Homemade Steak Sauce Recipe
Fire up that grill and buy all the steaks. If you’re craving a steakhouse steak sauce then I got you! All your steak making can get ramped up now because this Steak Sauce is totally BOMB. Seriously. Like better than A1 Steak Sauce and that’s saying a lot because I am an A1 loving girl!
Every year we head up to New York to visit one of our favorite steakhouses and every year….my husband embarrasses me by asking for steak sauce. The steaks there are so amazing they don’t need sauce of any kind….at all. But when they do have to serve it up….it’s simply the best, most flavorful sauce ever.
Peter Luger’s Steak Sauce is probably at the top of my list and this Sauce is totally inspired by their recipe. This is, by far, the best sauce recipe ever. It’s a bit of a cross between traditional steak sauce and cocktail sauce because of the zingy horseradish that’s mixed in.
How to Make Steak Sauce
This easy steak sauce recipe comes together rather easily and if you’re short on time you can even skip the cooking. I like to simmer my sauce for a short while to help the sugar dissolve and the ingredients intensify in flavor from a brief simmer.
Here’s how to make it:
- In a large saucepan, stir together the ketchup, worcestershire, horseradish, apple cider vinegar, molasses, brown sugar, hot sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat and then simmer over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the steak sauce to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
You can make this homemade sauce in a large batch and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 months. Alternatively, you can FREEZE your sauce for up to 6 months.
What is steak sauce made of?
Homemade Steak Sauce is made with common kitchen ingredients so there’s no need to run out searching for a special ingredient. We like our sauce to have a little kick, but if you like things mild you can omit the hot sauce for less heat.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Brown Sugar
- Hot Sauce
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
But really, as with any recipe, you can add or subtract any ingredient you want to suit your own taste.
Can steak sauce be used as a marinade?
You can totally turn this easy sauce into a marinade by whisking 2 tablespoons of olive oil into 1 cup of sauce and then stirring in a bit of minced garlic, fresh cracked pepper and a little liquid smoke for added flavor.
Place your steaks in a zip top bag and pour the marinade over the steaks. Seal the bag being sure to press out any excess air and marinade the steaks for 1-8 hours in the refrigerator. When your finished marinating the steaks, discard any excess marinade and cook your steaks as desired.
What to Serve with Homemade Steak Sauce
My favorite recipes to serve with this sauce are not limited to just steak, here are my picks:
- Easy Grilled Filet Mignon
- The Very Best Filet Mignon Recipe
- Philly don’t hate me….but this Philly Cheesesteak is amazing with a drizzle
- Grilled Steak and Mushroom Kabobs
- The BEST Baked Chicken Breast...yes, chicken.
And you can even drizzle it on a baked potato…it’s simply amazing. Try it….I promise you’ll LOVE it as much as I do.
More Easy Sauce Recipes
- Easy Creamy Horseradish Sauce
- Quick Tzatziki Sauce
- The BEST Basil Pesto EVER
- Honey Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
- Simple Teriyaki Sauce
Want even more easy recipes for just about anything? Follow us over on Instagram!
Get the Recipe: Easy Homemade Steak Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup Ketchup
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire
- 3 tablespoons Horseradish
- 2 tablespoons Molasses
- 2 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Hot Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- Whisk all the ingredients together in a medium saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
3 Comments on “Easy Homemade Steak Sauce Recipe”
It’s OK but I will not make it again.
This looks so good!!! Thanks for sharing 🙂