Egg in a Hole Pimento Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Yes, it’s a mouthful in more ways than one….this Egg in a Hole Pimento Grilled Cheese Sandwich is what southern dreams are made of. Two childhood classics melted together into one fantastic sandwich that’s oozing with melty pimento cheese and drippy egg yolk. OMG.
Hey y’all!!! It’s Kentucky Derby time and you know it’s one of my favorite times of the year. What other day can you get all dolled up in brightly colored Lilly Pulitzer dresses, crazy loud Vineyard Vine pants, a humungous hat and get pretty hammered on Mint Juleps all while throwing money at the underdog horse……while simultaneously stuffing your face with pimento cheese, bourbon soaked cake and a Kentucky Hot Brown. I can’t think of one….except maybe on a random Sunday when I’ve had a pretty hard week and sink into the weekend with a bit more gusto than I normally do. But seriously, it’s totally my dream to actually GO TO the Kentucky Derby and not sit outside with the tailgaters….like I totally want to go inside with all the flashy people and see the race up close and personal. Bucket list.
But in the meantime, I’ll just hang at home and watch from my sofa….with a giant hat, of course and one of my new favorite things ever….this Egg in a Hole Pimento Grilled Cheese Sandwich. It’s seriously a winner in my book….no matter which horse wins, you will be winning at life when you make one of these. If you’re not familiar with pimento cheese….let’s just start there. This Pimento Cheese recipe is the best ever and was created from one that I had in South Carolina. It’s the real deal. Make this now.
And I love to use my pimento cheese to make Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwiches because it’s just the right thing to do with pimento cheese. Don’t eat the sandwich cold, it’s just not the same. But, then you can go other level by cutting out a hole in the center and cracking an egg right there in that hole. Do it. Just do it. Don’t be afraid because this Egg in a Hole Pimento Grilled Cheese Sandwich recipe is like nothing else you’ll ever try. The pimento cheese just melts so perfectly and oozes just a bit into the egg when it cooks. Then, when you serve it, you can dip that little round grilled cheese right into the center.
Trust me when I say, no matter which horse you pick to win on Saturday, if you make this Egg in a Hole Pimento Cheese Grilled Cheese Sandwich you won’t even know or care who wins because you would be completely diving head first into your plate. I may have licked it clean because I have no shame….especially when I’m wearing a hat the size of Texas (because nobody can see me.) And if you’re in the market for a few other grilled cheese sandwiches be sure to try THIS Short Rib Grilled Cheese from waaaaay back in the day or my absolute favorite little fruity number….this Pear and Cheddar Grilled Cheese. It’s totally amazeballs. And if you want to see what else I’m eating this weekend be sure to follow along over on Instagram!
Get the Recipe: Egg in a Hole Pimento Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 4 slices sturdy white bread approximately 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup Pimento Cheese Spread
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Divide the pimento cheese spread evenly between two slices of bread and spread into an even layer. Top the cheese with the remaining bread slices and, using a 3 inch biscuit cutter, cut a hole in the center of each sandwich. Set aside.
- Place a large skillet over medium high heat and melt the butter to coat the pan. Place the two sandwiches and the bread rounds in the pan.
- Cook the sandwiches for 1 minute, then crack an egg into the middle of each sandwich being careful not to break the yolk. Continue cooking until the egg starts to set, approximately 2 more minutes.
- Carefully, flip each sandwich (and sandwich round over) and continue cooking for an additional 2-3 minutes or until golden brown on each side.
- Transfer the sandwiched to a plate or serving platter. Serve immediately with the mini round grilled cheese sandwiches.