Homemade Egg McMuffin (Breakfast Sandwich)
Easy make ahead Homemade Egg McMuffin Sandwich that are freezer friendly and ready when you are. This easy Egg McMuffin copycat is so simple to whip up and freeze, you’ll never make a drive-thru run again.
Homemade Egg McMuffin
So…..I love McDonald’s. I do. I know it’s bad but I love everything about it. Feel free to give me the lowdown on how bad their food is for me but I love the Quarter Pounder with Cheese…the Filet o’ Fish, the fries, the apple pies, the milkshakes, the fries, the Double Cheeseburgers, the fries. You get the picture. I, especially, love their breakfast sandwiches. All of them. Every.Single.One.
My favorite is the Egg McMuffin because it’s relatively healthy as far as fast food goes but you can make it even better at home! And it’s so easy to do.
What I love most about these Homemade Egg McMuffins is that they’re the best egg breakfast sandwich to make and freeze for busy mornings on the go. You can make a big batch of egg and cheese sandwiches just the way you like them…with bacon, without bacon or even with a sausage patty.
Freeze them in individual freezer bags and make the entire family happy every day of the week. Doesn’t that sound dreamy?
How To Make Them
These easy Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches are exactly what you get in an Egg McMuffin….perfectly round egg, cheddar cheese, Canadian bacon piled high on an English Muffin.
Cook the eggs in a jumbo muffin tin or use a round ramekin if you have them.
Spray the inside with cooking spray and give the eggs a little whisk to break up the yolk a bit.
Allow the eggs to cool and remove them from the muffin tin or ramekin.
Assemble the sandwich on an english muffin and wrap individually with plastic wrap.
Place your individually wrapped sandwiches in a zip-top freezer bag and write the cooking instructions on the outside of the bag.
Transfer to the freezer and wait for breakfast.
How To Reheat Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches
When you’re ready to eat your egg McMuffin, unwrap the sandwich from the plastic wrap and wrap in a paper towel.
Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds on a microwave safe plate.
Flip the sandwich and heat for another 30 seconds or until warmed through.
If you prefer to toast your breakfast sandwich, you can wrap in foil and heat in a toaster oven at 325˚ until warmed through.
These homemade Egg McMuffins are a lifesaver now, I pop one in the microwave while I’m getting my son ready for school and it’s ready when we leave. A great grab and go breakfast that’s healthy and satisfying.
More Easy Breakfast Recipes
- Freezer Breakfast Burritos with Chorizo
- Authentic Belgian Waffle Recipe // Video
- The Very Best French Toast Recipe
Get the Recipe: Make Ahead Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches
- 6 large eggs
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 6 english muffins, split in half
- 6 slices canadian bacon
- 6 slices cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat a jumbo muffin tin with cooking spray and crack one egg in each well. Lightly whisk each egg with a fork. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the muffin tin to the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes or until the egg is firm. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Assemble the sandwich by layering the bottom half of the english muffin with a slice of canadian bacon, one egg round, a slice of cheese and top with the other half of the english muffin. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and set aside. Repeat with the remaining muffins, bacon, egg and cheese.
- Once all the sandwiches are assembled and wrapped, place them in a zip-top freezer bag and press out all the air before sealing. Write the heating instructions on the outside of the bag. (1-2 minutes on high in the microwave.) Transfer to the freezer.
- When ready to cook, remove one sandwich from the freezer bag and open one end of the plastic wrap. (So the sandwich doesn’t steam and become soggy.) Heat the sandwich in the microwave for 1-2 minutes (start with 1 minute and then heat at 30 second increments until heated through). Remove from the plastic wrap immediately and serve.